34

Soda made Ponyboy wake up at eight-thirty with him. Soda didn't have to be at work until eleven, but he liked to wake up early to get ready and have time to relax. Today he wouldn't be relaxing. "Get up Ponyboy. Take a shower while I make breakfast."

Ponyboy groaned quietly, he didn't want to get up - but he figured Soda was still pissed so he shouldn't make a fuss. He hadn't slept very well either, he kept waking up during the night and then taking forever to fall back asleep.

He hit the showers, and took his time getting out and going to the table. Soda was already sat down and eating, he didn't say anything as Ponyboy sat across from him and took a bite from his waffles. After a few minutes of silence, Ponyboy finally spoke, "are you mad at me?"

"I was."

"And now?"

"Now I'm just upset. I was worried when you weren't home - I was gonna go looking for you if you hadn't shown up."

"What's gonna happen?"

"First we're gonna finish breakfast."

"And then?"

"Ponyboy, stop asking so many questions. I'm really not in the mood."

"Sorry."

They finished eating without another word, and Ponyboy did the dishes while Soda took a shower of his own. He finished faster than Ponyboy had, and the younger was still doing the dishes when Soda came out. "When you finish, come to the living room."

"Yes Sir," Ponyboy could tell punishment time was officially in effect - Soda's voice was much harder than it had been even at the dining table.

Soda was waiting for Ponyboy, sitting on the couch with a belt in his hand. It wasn't their dad's belt - but a belt none the less. "Come here." Soda pointed in front of his feet. Ponyboy came over and was easily trapped in between Soda's legs. "You know I was just telling Darry how good you've been, and that I haven't had any problems from you. I guess he was right to warn me you'd try pushing my buttons."

"I didn't mean to -"

"But you did. You knew not to go to that party and you still went. You snuck out and hoped I wouldn't find out about it."

"It's just not fair!"

"I know it isn't. I don't like missing out on all the cool parities either. But we can't always get what we want. Those parities that Shepard holds are dangerous. What if you'd gotten hurt? Or someone spiked your drink or -"

"Dally said not to take drinks unless it was from him." Ponyboy jumped a little at the sudden smack he felt hit his leg.

"Don't interrupt me. Now, why do you think he doesn't want you taking drinks from people at those parities? Because of what goes on there Ponyboy! Not to mention the cops could've shown up and maybe you couldn't sneak away in time.  Like last time you went to a party with Dally. Only this time you would've been in a lot more trouble because of the drugs that I know were there."

Ponyboy looked down a little, Soda was right after all. He was really good at explaining to Ponyboy the reason behind why he could or couldn't do something. Darry was good at it too - but sometimes he forgot to give Ponyboy a reason and just told him 'because I said so' or 'that's the rules'.

"But you already knew all of that because I told you yesterday. Didn't I?"

"Yes sir. You did."

"Then I won't waste anymore of my breath lecturing you. So here's what's gonna happen. Imma let you go and I want you over the arm of the couch, jeans and underwear down. Steve is coming at ten-thirty and you'll be coming to work with me today. You can help clean and stock the DX, and if it's busy enough you can pump the customer's gas - but you aren't keeping any tips. This is a punishment." Ponyboy nodded, "tell me you understand."