52

Johnny was able to make the track team, but only because Ponyboy fought really hard to get him a spot. The other members of the team who'd been on track since sixth grade weren't keen on this particular new addition. so even though he'd made the team, he was a fill-in - meaning if the first two sprint runners couldn't be in a game then Johnny could run in a match. He was really grateful to his friend for even getting him a spot on the team, so he promised to practice really hard.

They were talking about their first practice of the year, which was tomorrow. "I know you will Johnny. And you still got a chance at running a track meet. The guys will warm up to you. I guess we just don't usually get older kids trying out for the first time. All the other eighth graders on the team have already been here for two years."

"Yeah, it was kinda crazy of me to try out this year."

"I'm glad you did. And then you can try out next year with me too."

"Sure thing." The bell rang loudly and Johnny stood up from where they'd been sitting outside in the grass. "Come on. Don't wanna be late."

They hurried inside and when they were almost TK class Ponyboy swore, "shit. I left my bag outside. You go on. We have different classes now anyways."

"Okay. See you in history."

Ponyboy circled back outside and grabbed his things, thankful his next class was math. Miss Lewis was nice, she would be mad he was late. The second bell rang as he was getting back inside the building, and by the time he got into class was five minutes late. "Ponyboy, I don't appreciate tardiness." His teacher said in a stern voice - which was new to him.

"Sorry ma'am, I forgot my bag outside and had to go back and get it."

"Next time check in first, so I know you'll be late."

"Yes ma'am," she wrote down a note on a yellow slip of paper and handed it to him after he took his seat. "But -"

"It's just as a warning Ponyboy. I'd still like it to be signed by your guardian. If you get three then it's a lunch detention. Understood?"

"Yes." He put the note in his backpack and she went back to the chalkboard where she'd been writing different equations down. When class was over, they were handed back their first quizzes from Friday - and Pony's had a giant C- minus on it. He never got below a B - even in math! God, Darry was gonna pissed.

"Don't look so upset Ponyboy. It's the first quiz of the year and that's plenty of room for improvement." Miss Lewis said when she saw the look on his face. "Why don't you come during your free hour and we can go over what you missed?" Ponyboy nodded a little, he'd definitely need help understanding.

~~~~~~

Ponyboy came back to Miss Lewis' class during his free hour, she was in the middle of a class when he showed up. "Sit down at my desk for now Ponyboy."

"Yes ma'am." When she'd finished going over the Eason she gave the class their assignment and went over to Ponyboy. "Thank you for helping me." He spoke softly when she leaned over to start explaining her kissed questions.

"I'm happy to help Ponyboy, and if you're ever confused by something in class don't be afraid to ask me to go over again. Okay?"

"Okay."

They spent the rest of the class period redoing the problems he'd gotten wrong. She'd gone over the formulas and how to solve them - and then had him redo them on a separate sheet of paper while she went to the other students in her current class. When he finished, he'd gotten most of them correct this time except a few - which she showed him how to get the correct answers for.