31

Ponyboy ate his lunch slowly, knowing once he finished he'd have to find himself a corner to enjoy. Soda and Steve ate and chattered together, not harping on Ponyboy's impending doom - the kid was doing enough of that for himself.

Both of the older boys finished eating their lunch, and then cleaned up their trash. "I'll come back in ten minutes to check on you," Soda said. "If you finish your lunch before then, come out to the front and get in a corner."

"Out there?!"

"So We can see you. I can't keep checking on you to make sure you stay put in here."

"I will... I don't wanna stand in a corner out there! Anyone can see me!" He complained.

"You should've thought about that before you disobeyed Steve and I." And then he left the breakroom, and Ponyboy picked at his fries and burger and sipped at his Coke- his shake was the first thing to go, and he'd finished that off at the start of lunch.

Ponyboy finished his lunch before Soda came to check on him, so he cleaned up and then went out like he'd been told. "Kid's finally finished with his food." Steve called into the garage. Soda must've been in there.

"He knows where to go!" Soda yelled.

"You heard the man," Steve pointed to the corner behind the cash register.

"He told ME to find myself a corner." Ponyboy sassed.

"Kid, if you don't drop that attitude, I will help you loose it."

"Whatever," Steve wasn't his brother - he couldn't do anything.

"You little -" he grabbed Ponyboy before he could run and landed two quick smacks.

"Ow!" They only stung a little - Soda could do more damage. "Hey! Stop!" He pulled away quickly and ran to tattle. "Soda! Steve hit me!" He ran into the garage, his big doe eyes on display.

"Huh?" Soda stood up from the car he'd been bent over.

"Steve hit me!"

"I gave him a couple swats for being so mouthy." Steve explained.

Soda rolled his eyes, "Ponyboy quit being so dramatic. You probably deserved them." The kid huffed, "now go get in a Corner."

"Fine." He still had a bit of an attitude.

"Want to try that again?" He sounded just like Darry for a second as he stepped around the car, ready to give Pony a quick attitude adjustment.

"Yes sir!" He squeaked out and then hurried out the garage and to the corner Steve had pointed at moments ago. Luckily no one was in the DX right now, so it was just Steve who got to see the kid standing there.

"Keep an eye on him? Imma finish this up really quick. You know how he should be standing there," because Steve had been sent to a corner by the Curtis' in the past and Soda and Darry both used their parents rules to this day. "If he tries acting up you got permission to set him straight."

"My pleasure." Steve went back inside then, glancing to make sure Ponyboy stood straight with his nose to the wall. "Soda'a finishing that car out there and then he will be in."

"How long is that gonna be?"

"Dunno," Steve shrugged. "Probably fifteen minutes." Ponyboy groaned loudly, he should've eaten even slower.

He stood there, with Steve 'working' as they waited for Soda to come and get Ponyboy out the corner. A few people came in, and most were nice enough not to comment on the random kid standing in a corner. One older guy did ask about it though, "babysitting?"