Chapter 39 - Desperate Measures

About two hours later, when their movie ended, Laurent, Larry and Sofia started to head back up to the condo.  By now, there was much activity in the lobby area as people were coming and going, while small groups were hanging out in the lobby area. So, Laurent rushed Larry and Sofia along on his way towards the elevator. But right before he got to the elevator heading back up to his floor, Laurent felt his cell phone vibrate in his pocket.  He'd brought his work cell with him but had turned off the ringer.  He wanted to be kept in the loop on any updates regarding Sandoval's capture.

"Bourgeois."

Laurent was silent for a moment as he listened to the caller.  The call was from his CIA office.  Larry and Sofia watched Laurent closely as he took his call.  He pointed to and moved towards a secluded spot in the lobby to continue his call. Larry and Sofia followed him, still looking at Laurent with open curiosity as he continued listening to the caller.

"What?!"  Laurent chuckled.  "You're kidding.  Wow, having met those two I would never have thought that would happen. So much for blind loyalty. Good.  This is good news.  Thanks for the update. Keep me posted."  Laurent and his caller then ended their conversation.  Laurent returned his phone to his pocket.

"Laurent?"  Larry stared at him with wide-eyed anticipation.  "What is it?  Did...they catch Manny?"

"No, not yet, but the next best thing happened."

"What?"

"Miguel and Pedro have been officially charged.  In fact, they've turned themselves in. I understand they both gave lengthy statements and have turned states evidence."

"What does that mean, Mr. Laurent, this...states evidence?"

"That means, they've turned on Manny.  They admitted to Manny's crimes, even the kidnapping, Larry, and their involvement in all of it.  They're trying to save their own hides now.  They don't want to serve prison time in Nicaragua so they're cooperating with the FBI in the hopes that they can serve their time here, in the states.  They're telling the FBI all the things Manny has done.  I was told they're going to be officially sentenced in a few days.  They're going to prison.  You'll never have to worry about Miguel and Pedro again."

Both Larry and Sofia blew out audible breaths of relief. "Thank goodness," Larry said.

"This is very good news, Mr. Laurent," Sofia echoed. She and Larry looked at each other, smiled, and embraced.

"Let's go." Laurent continued heading towards the elevators.  When the elevator dinged open, they all got on it. Laurent put his special key in the slot for the penthouse floor, and the elevator immediately moved upwards to the top floor.

Larry moved, wrapping his arms around Laurent's waist with Laurent pulling and holding him close.  "All of Manny's main minions are now in custody," Laurent said.  "It's just a matter of time before he's caught too."

Larry sighed.  "I hope so.  I want to be done with Manny.  For good.  I'm ready to put my life with him behind me.  I don't want to have to worry about him trying to get to me ever again." 

"He won't, baby.  I'll see to that.  They're going to catch him.  And starting tomorrow, you'll be taking the first steps towards ending your ties to him."

After they got back to Laurent's condo, the rest of the day for Larry and Sofia was decidedly less stressful than how it started. They'd very much enjoyed their movie as well as the brief tour of Laurent's condo building. Laurent spent some time in his office while Larry and Sofia hung out together for a while since Sofia would be leaving early the following morning.

Other than the couple times, years ago when Larry traveled with Manny on his UN business, had he and Sofia spent more than a few days apart. They are truly like beloved mother and son to each other. Even if just for a few days, both would miss each other. They hoped Laurent's theory was right, that they would be reunited in protective custody.