Chapter 50 - Let the Healing Begin

As Larry and Matt left the detention center building heading towards the parking lot, Larry started to falter in his steps.  At first, Matt hadn't noticed that Larry was no longer beside him, but Larry, overcome and unable to contain his emotions, slumped against the side of the building, openly weeping.  Hearing the sudden, curious sounds and not seeing Larry beside him, Matt turned and was surprised by what he was seeing.  He rushed over to Larry in an effort to console him.

"Larry?"  Matt stood in front of Larry in an attempt to block him from passersby curiously looking on. Initially, he was wondering what was going on. But he soon realized that he'd seen this before and had a pretty good idea what was happening.

Matt continued trying to conceal Larry while also trying to console him. But he was finding it a bit difficult as Larry was a good six inches taller than him and slightly unresponsive.  Instead,  "Larry, look at me. Hey, let's go.  Okay?  Let's go to the car."  Matt wrapped an arm around Larry's waist, gently coaxing him along.  "It's going to be alright," Matt continued, speaking to Larry in a low and gentle tone.  "Let's go."

Larry followed along, and when they got to his car, Matt quickly opened the passenger side of his car and ushered Larry into the seat, closing the door behind him.  He then rushed around to the driver's side, got in and quickly started up the car, pulling out of the detention center parking lot and out onto the street.

"I...I'm so sorry, Ma...Matt," Larry managed to say after a while, his voice catching.  (sniff, sniff)  "I...don't know what came over me, I just...." More tears. "I'm sorry."

Matt pulled a small box of tissues from the console between their seats and handed it to Larry.  "No apologies necessary, Larry.  I completely understand.  Actually, this is a fairly common reaction. You have nothing to apologize for. Divorce can be a very emotional and trying ordeal. It's okay."

With that, Larry mopped at his eyes, but tears continued to come.  After a while, when Larry managed to slow the onslaught of his tears, he pulled his sunglasses out of his jacket pocket and put them on.  He slumped down a bit in his seat, loosely wrapped his arms across his waist and turned away slightly, facing the window toward the street.

The two drove back into Manhattan in relative silence except for the low sound of the radio playing in the background that had come on when Matt started up his car.  They had about 2 and a half hours before Larry had to be at the airport for his return flight to Virginia.  "Are you hungry, Larry?"

"Huh?"

"Could you eat something?"

"Oh, um, no thank you, Matt.  Maybe I'll get something later.  Thanks."

"Sure, no problem."

"Where are we going?"

"I'm heading back to my office to take care of a few things.  You have some time before you need to be at the airport.  Is that okay?"  Matt could have taken Larry straight to the airport but given his current emotional state, he didn't want to just drop him off, only to have him sit for hours, alone, in some noisy, impersonal airport to wrestle with his emotions.  He'd been down this road before with the heightened emotions of clients fresh off of a divorce meeting. Dealing with these couples required some compassion, Matt determined. "I just didn't want you to have to sit for hours in the airport alone."

Larry managed a smile. "Thank you.  Yeah, okay. That'll be fine."

"You're welcome. And don't worry. I'll get you to the airport in plenty of time for you to get through security and make your flight.  I also have a small room where you can relax for a while before it's time to leave for the airport."