Chapter 56 - Self-Doubt

The end of a very pleasant Saturday evening spent with Celeste and Playmo blended into a quiet and equally pleasant Sunday morning.  Larry and Laurent had slept in for a short while before they decided to get up and greet the day. They showered and completed their morning hygiene, but found they were in no hurry to get fully dressed, at least for now.  They had nowhere they especially had to be, and no one either wanted to see at the moment, except each other.

And speaking of the day, it was yet another bright sunny morning.  Summer was now in full effect.  After the two finished a later than usual breakfast, they'd opened the slider off of the living room and sat outside for a brief while, soaking up the sun and the view that never got old.

  After the two finished a later than usual breakfast, they'd opened the slider off of the living room and sat outside for a brief while, soaking up the sun and the view that never got old

But soon, Laurent started to notice something

But soon, Laurent started to notice something. Larry was making suggestions as to things he wanted to do that day, none of which, he noticed, included completing his essay that he needed to get done so as to complete his Culinary Institute enrollment application.

Laurent recalled Larry saying he was struggling with what the topic for his essay should be and how he should start it. Laurent also recalled that it was Larry who'd pushed them working together on the essay back to today, Sunday, and yet, Larry seemed to be avoiding the topic of his essay altogether. Laurent started to wonder if Larry had changed his mind about going to culinary school.

During his and Larry's discussion with an academic counselor after their campus visit a while back, Laurent recalled that it was suggested Larry consider first getting his associate degree, which included an emphasis in the Culinary Arts curriculum, to which Larry agreed, and Laurent supported.

At that time, the academic counselor informed Larry that the associate degree program wasn't a lesser pursuit by no means, but rather the associate degree program instilled the knowledge and skills that were the very foundation of everything he would do at the CIA, as well as in the food service industry once he graduated.

Additionally, the counselor informed Larry that if he was deciding to attend full-time, he'd be surprised how fast the time would pass.  Further, given the number of years he's been out of school, shooting for the associate degree program, again, though no less challenging, would be a good way to ease him back into an academic environment without the obligation of a four-year, bachelor's degree program.  Moreover, it would give him time and an environment in which he could decide on how he wanted to pursue his Culinary Arts career from there.