Chapter 19 - A Lucky Break

As Laurent continued watching the Sandoval house from his car behind tinted windows, a discreet distance across the street, his mind floated back to the footage he'd recently watched of Larry being knocked to the floor by the hulking brute called Diego.  Laurent still flinched slightly when he recalled the sound of Larry's cry out in pain, the fear on his face, and later, his struggle not to be chloroformed. Then, watching him being lifted by the hulking brute over his shoulder like he was a sack of potatoes played on a loop over and over in Laurent's head, each time filling him with rage.

He groaned, rubbing his hand roughly over his face. His frustration was like a physical thing with tentacles clawing at him. Just knowing what he knew now, and not being able to do something about it was almost too much to bear.  Laurent didn't want to wait for plans of a raid. He knew that could take several days to several weeks to plan and pull off given the frustrating bureaucracy of the federal government.  Every minute that went by was a loss of valuable time.  He wanted to jump on a plane right then, heading to Nicaragua, and with guns blazing he wanted to go rescue Larry and Sofia himself.  The waiting and lack of activity was already killing him even though the kidnapping had occurred less than twenty-four hours ago.

The images now etched in his head seeing how Larry had been treated by the hulking goon tore hard at Laurent.  He gripped his steering wheel so hard in anger and frustration his knuckles had turned pale.  He took a deep breath and slowly blew it out to calm himself. He had to keep it together.  He wondered how Larry was being treated at that moment.  Since Sandoval was capable of hitting and pushing Larry, he was more than capable of doing far worse to him.  Laurent feared what Sandoval might do to Larry if he were to resist him in any way.   Sandoval had already slapped Larry once when Larry had refused his seduction for sex.

Laurent momentarily closed then re-opened his eyes on fearful dread of just how abusive Sandoval was capable of being towards Larry or even Sofia.  He recalled the comments Pedro had made to Sofia, now on video, indicating how she was apparently expendable to them.  So he very much feared for her safety as well.  Laurent only hoped that Larry and Sofia being together, if indeed they were, was some sort of solace to them until they could be concretely located and rescued, hopefully unharmed.

Laurent literally and figuratively shook the thoughts from his head before his anguish managed to shatter the last shreds of control he had left.  He was seriously considering going rogue and head to Nicaragua himself to rescue them.  But for now, he continued to watch the Sandoval house.  Then, he watched as the large moving van, now emptied of the Sandoval household furnishings, slowly pulled away from the house, and left.

Not long thereafter, Laurent watched as the police escorted Miguel and Pedro, handcuffed, inside the back of one of the police cruisers, which too pulled off shortly after the moving van left.  The officers in the second cruiser, upon their arrival, headed inside the house to search, minus evidence to the contrary, to see if Sandoval, Larry and their housekeeper were still somewhere in the house possibly being held captive or worse.

After the second set of police officers left the house and returned to their vehicle, Laurent then pulled out and headed back to the safe house.  From this point, after he'd arrived back at the safe house, for the next several hours, he and his team continued working diligently finishing up reviewing and compiling the bulk of their video, audio, and physical evidence of the goings, comings, dealings, and otherwise alleged clandestine activities, of which was considerable, on Emmanuel Dimitry Sandoval.

By now, Laurent saw no point in waiting until Sunday morning to fly back to Virginia.  After he and his team were done compiling and cataloging the evidence they'd obtained over the past several days, they packed up everything preparing to leave the safe house. It was almost 8:00 p.m. when Laurent instructed his team to change their flight and lodging arrangements and head back to Virginia a day early.