Chapter 41 - Just a Little Bit of Laurent

After a cursory cleanup, both gloriously sated from their passionate lovemaking, Larry and Laurent returned to, and simply lingered in bed cuddling, basking in the afterglow. Larry was laying between Laurent's long legs with his back against his boo's chest. Their legs and arms were loosely entangled as they laid, wrapped in each other's arms. After a while,

"Laurent?"

"Hmm?"  Laurent's eyes were closed.  He was in the initial stages of a doze.

"Tell me about when you were growing up, in Paris, with your mom and dad."

"Whatdaya wanna know?"

Larry chuckled. "Everything."

"Everything?"  Laurent too chuckled.  "Okay.  So, you're actually asking to be bored?"

Larry smiled. "Nooo, I know you're just kidding. I bet your childhood wasn't boring at all."

"Well, okay, but remember, you asked for it.  Let's see," Laurent uttered, seeming to ponder where to begin.  "You remember I told you a little bit about my dad being a bank CEO, and my mom an attorney."

"Yeah, but you never said anything more about them."

Laurent hesitated for a moment before he continued. "Well, when they had me, they weren't...old, but they were older.  Both were in their early forties. I was told they'd tried having a family sooner, but when it didn't happen, they almost gave up.  Then, later, unexpectedly, mom found out she was pregnant. They would later tell me how happy they were when they knew they would finally be expanding their family. They also told me that I was an identical twin, but that my twin brother had died shortly after his birth."

Larry gasped.  "Oh nooo, Laurent.  You never told me you had a twin, and I'm so sorry he passed away."

Laurent sighed.  "Yeah, well, since I never really got to meet him, it was like he didn't exist.  At least, that was the easy way of dealing with it.  I would have loved to have met him.  After they told me that, I used to think about that, and him a lot, wondering what it would've been like, having a twin brother to grow up with.  But it's been a long time ago now. I don't think about it as much anymore."

Larry chuckled.  "Wow, there would've been two of you."

Laurent too chuckled.  "Double trouble, huh.  My parents thought I would grow up lonely, or introverted since I was an only child, but they wanted to make sure I wouldn't be."

"How?  What did they do?"

"They were always putting me in group activities, in and outside of school, as long as it didn't interfere with schoolwork.  They wanted me to be around lots of other kids, from all kinds of backgrounds.  So, I had a lot of playmates and friends growing up. In addition to school activities, we would also have sleepovers at each other's houses so I never felt lonely."

"That was so wonderful of your parents to do that.  How did you feel about that?"

Laurent shrugged. "I didn't always like their suggestions for activities, but when I look back, I can appreciate what they were trying to do. They always allowed me to express how I felt, and they'd listen to my opinions on what activities I wanted to participate in, why or why not.  I liked that."  He chuckled.  "But still, I didn't always get my way."

"It sounds like you have such nice parents, really good parents. You're so lucky to have parents who wanted the best for you, and to listen to your opinions too. So, how did you get into computers?"

"I think it started when I was about 4 years old. My mom got me this kind of educational kids' version of a computer.  It was pretty advanced technology for the time as computers weren't as commonplace in most households yet then as they are now.  It was basically an advanced toy.  It had a small keyboard, like a regular computer, but it had a lot of games software in it that introduced you to math, science, geography, and other subjects and activities too. It even had a program in it that taught you how to type.  I remember I was fascinated by it."  Laurent chuckled slightly as he recalled the timeframe.  "It was colorful.  It made all these...interesting sounds.  There were pictures that would pop up on the screen, depending on the subject, be it letters, numbers, animals, whatever.  It was like magic to me.  I would watch my parents when they were on their computers, and I'd try to mimic what they were doing. It became my favorite toy.  The thing I couldn't understand was, how did all that stuff get into that little toy."