Chapter 9 - Truth and Lies

His...date?!

"Kimberly, this is Larry, one of our hosts," Laurent introduced.

For a few heady seconds, Larry merely stared, tongue-tied, looking at this woman Laurent referred to as his date.

"Hello, Larry," Kimberly said, a big smile on her beautiful face.  "It's a pleasure to meet you."

"Um, hello, Ms. Gillis." Larry forced a smile, trying hard for sincere cheerfulness, when inside he felt like he was going to be sick on the spot. "Welcome," he said.  "It's a pleasure to meet you too."

She's beautiful, Larry observed, a fact that instantly gnawed at his confidence.  He quickly looked from Kimberly to Laurent and back again inwardly fighting to regain some semblance of composure.  Mixed emotions surged through him, part shock, part jealousy, and part confusion, neither of which he knew he had any right to feel. 

"Thank you," Kimberly said, her tone upbeat and bubbly.  "Please, call me Kimberly."  She looked around her.  "You have such a lovely home."  

"Oh, thank you."

"Kimberly, in addition to being a phenomenal cook, as you'll soon find out," Laurent interjected, "Larry is also a very talented interior decorator.  I understand he did his own designs here." Laurent smiled; his eyes intent as they looked at Larry.

Larry looked up, meeting Laurent's eyes.  He was momentarily speechless by his kind words.  Embarrassed by what just looking at Laurent did to him, he quickly averted his eyes back to Kimberly.  "Um, that's very nice of Laurent but, he's exaggerating."  Larry forced a smile.  His mind was still on Laurent bringing a date.

"No, no," Kimberly countered.  "I think Laurent's right on point.  Just from what I see so far, you did an amazing job."

"Thank you."  Larry smiled shyly.  "This is more my husband's style, but I added some of my touches to it."

"I hope it's okay that I came, Larry.  I happened to run into Lau here." Kimberly chuckled.  "It was so good to see him." 

Lau?

"I asked him what he was doing this evening and he mentioned he was coming to meet socially with a client. He asked if I'd like to come along. We don't see each other much," she said, shooting a playful glance at Laurent. "We're both so rarely in New York at the same time, I thought, sure, why not. I hope it's alright that I tagged along." 

"Oh, yes, of course.  We...suggested Laurent bring a friend if he knew anyone in town. We're so glad you could come."

Things were starting to feel awkward, at least for Larry. He could feel himself getting lightheaded. Had he read everything with Laurent all wrong, Larry wondered.

Then, right at that moment, Sandoval strolled to the foyer. "Laurent! You made it!" Sandoval greeted his latest arrivals with handshakes, after which he wrapped an arm around Larry's waist.  "So glad you could come."

Larry had never been so grateful for Manny's presence, though admittedly, he felt uncomfortable when Manny wrapped his arm around his waist just as he was trying to digest the sheer unexpectedness of Laurent bringing a 'date'.  Though Manny had suggested it, Larry wasn't prepared to actually see Laurent with someone, least of all a beautiful woman.

Neither Sandoval's supportive gesture, possessively placing his arm around Larry's waist, nor Larry's reaction to it, escaped Laurent's notice. "Good evening, Mr. Sandoval," he said, averting his glance from Larry to his other host. Laurent managed to stave off an unfamiliar but no less unwelcome bout of jealousy at seeing Sandoval's arm wrapped around Larry's waist.