I

It's only a matter of time, young dove, before you find yourself begging on your knees, pleading for your life. I am not just the voice in your head; I am the voice of the future. 

Years after the prologue. 

After spending many years outside the nest, Axel would finally make an unceremonious return to his fellow White Doves. Axel rested his Ruby Staff over his shoulder as he approached the door. Axel looked down at the ground for a moment, thinking about all the possible words he could get bombarded with before finally stepping through the door.

The room grew uncomfortably silent when Axel came in; it almost seemed he wasn't welcome back into the Roost. Axel slowly and awkwardly sat down in a chair, feeling the dozens of eyes staring at him in silence. Axel lifted his head up.

"Well, I've returned, and nobody seems to care?" Axel said out loud. No response; not a single soul. Axel sighed heavily. "C'mon, guys. I told you I would be back, didn't I?"

"You shouldn't have left for so long, Axel," said a female voice from across the room. "You weren't there when we needed you. The Shadows have already destroyed the ecosystem of our lakes and ponds because of your absence."

"Is it blame everything on Axel day?" Axel retorted. "What does my absence for a month have anything to do with this?"

"It has plenty to do with it. We needed your teleportation and shield spells to create a front, but sadly, we didn't have any of that."

"Serina, can you not?" said another voice. "Axel needed some time off, and if he knew this was coming, he would have stayed, right?"

"Yes! Of course! Why would I ever abandon my flock in a fight?" Axel replied as he leaned against the back of his chair. "Fable, I'm glad you understand."

"I understand a lot of things thanks to my extensive knowledge of the White Dove spirit," Fable inquired. "The great Xenia knows, and I know that you care about us more than anything else."

"Anything except for Lobo, that damn wolf of his. Lobo is just a shaggy mutt compared to Akari. Akari is a Xenia Blood, making her a thousand times better than that mix-breed Lobo," Serina sassed. Axel stood up defensively. 

"Don't speak about Lobo that way! He has been through so much and nearly gave his life for me! Xenia Blood or not, Lobo is just as strong and loyal as any other Dove Wolf!" Axel exclaimed in protest against Serina's word. Serina suddenly jumped to her feet and got in Axel's face.

"Mutt rider!"

"Prim and proper pansy!" Axel exclaimed, pushing his forehead into Serina's. Fable stepped in between them.

"You two knock it off, alright? We have to patrol the Red Timber Forest for any signs of Shadow activity. Do as Xenia says, but not as Xenia does, alright?"

"Yes," Serina replied, now facing Fable. Serina turned back around to face Axel again with a shit-eating grin on her face. "Axel, get that mutt saddled up, and let's get moving." Serina exited the Roost, leaving Axel in a sour mood. Axel aggressively shoved the door open and mounted Lobo from the treetop mounting station. Axel grabbed Lobo's reins and slipped the silver bit into his mouth. Axel then picked up the reins and held them tightly.

"Alright, follow me. Grand Doves lead the way," Fable said as she rode in front of Axel and Serina atop a giant, brown wolf named Chelly. Axel and Serina would be cursed to ride alongside one another for the entire duration of the ride, which brewed up small arguments, which were always hushed by Fable. Axel avoided eye contact with Serina for the entire time as well.

After the thirty-minute ride, they stopped and looked down onto the forest floor to check for Shadow activity. Fable rode ahead as usual, as she was always showing the way. The Red Timber Forest housed trees that would be hundreds of feet tall; some trees exceeded five hundred feet. Fable drew her Diamond Long Bow when she heard rustling in a nearby bush. Fable shot an arrow at the bush and hit a giant rabbit around ten feet tall. Fable would sigh.