V

The morning sun crept over the horizon once more. Axel was the first one awake. Axel went to the window and gazed out into the unknown, wondering what truly lies beyond the Red Timber Forest. Axel would shake his head subtly at thinking of all the secrets he could uncover if he broke the boundaries. A hand touched his shoulder.

"Gazing off into space again?" Fable said. Axel turned around and leaned his back against the window.

 "Yea. I wonder what truly lies beyond the Red Timber Forest," Axel said. Axel rubbed the back of his neck. "We should take a look ourselves. It would be quite a trip, but if we bring enough food and water for the wolves and us, we could make it."

"I'm sure we would," Fable said before giving Axel a kiss on the cheek. "So, we can start with breakfast and our morning worship?"

"Sure. I'll make the pancakes," Axel said as he began to walk toward the kitchen. Axel would smack Serina on the abdomen. "Wake up, buttercup. Go feed the wolves." Serina grunted and sat up. 

 "Well, excuse me, Mr. White Hair, I didn't know you were in charge," Serina sassed. Serina would then stand up. "Well, I guess I'll be working with the wolves. Alone. Again." Serina grabbed giant steaks out of a cooler and put them into a large bucket before heading outside into the misty morning. Axel placed a pan onto the silver fire stove and began to heat it up. Fable stood behind Axel. 

 "Nice to see the man of the Roost cooking for once," Fable said.

 "A good man is a man who can cook," Axel replied. Axel would put some butter into the pan. "Can you make the batter for me while I cook the sides?"

"Yes. I'll help you out," Fable said as she reached for the flour. Fable would pour flour into a large mixing bowl, along with some baking soda, an egg, and some milk, before mixing it all together. Fable gave the batter to Axel and watched Serina from the window. "I kind of feel bad for Serina. She is tainted by hatred and negativity. I wonder what the root cause of that is." 

 "Could have been her mother," Axel said. "After all, her mother was into black magic, I was told. Served one of the witches that plagued this land and became one herself. She was a White Dove." 

 "A White Doves serving a witch? That's rare," Fable said. "Who told you this?"

"Xenia spoke to me through prayer one night, and I received an answer," Axel said. Axel poured the pancake batter into the pan. Serina ran back into the Roost, covered in blood and panting. Fable looked at Serina.

 "What happened?" Fable asked, looking at the blood that covered Serina. 

 "The wolves got into a feeding frenzy. Lobo bit Chelly and Akari ripped up the goat I gave to her," Serina said. Serina would begin to wipe herself down with a cloth. "Well, at least they're fed."

"Good. At least we know you're not completely useless," Axel said, playfully teasing Serina, who folded her arms and walked away in a huff. Axel chuckled a little and looked back down at the pan. Axel would swiftly push the spatula under the pancake and flip it over with a flick of the wrist. Fable would sit in one of the silver chairs and wait on breakfast while Serina cursed under her breath as she rid herself of the blood that coated her. Axel continued to cook while thinking about the adventure they were going to embark on today. Axel would begin to think about the positives, but where there are positives, there are negatives. Axel was then struck with a negative thought; what if they stray too far and end up getting ambushed? Axel would turn to Fable. "Before we get going, we should be prepared for anything. We could get ambushed."

"Good idea. I'll bring some armor, just in case. You don't know," Fable said. "What made you think such a thought?"

"It just came to mind," Axel replied. "Anyway, back to cooking."