VI

The three White Doves continued on their way through the hauntingly dark and quiet Forest of the Gatekeepers; a white mist rolled in as they approached a fountain of blood adorned with the dismembered bodies of White Doves who came this far. Axel looked down at the mess, looking pale as a ghost.

"That's something I didn't need to see today." Axel applied two cupped hands to his face and sighed heavily into them, regaining his composure. Axel would then look over at Fable. "Let's pretend we didn't see that and continue. Yes?"

"Don't be such a wuss!" Serina replied in a tone akin to a child. "I thought you were brave!" Axel would drop his head and shake it subtly, but he didn't respond; starting a fight in the middle of Shadow territory wasn't the best idea. Serina would continue trying to instigate. "Don't run away from your feelings, Axel! Admit it, you're scared!"

"Will you shut up?!" Fable exclaimed, raising a fist. "I would trade my life to get rid of you sometimes!" Fable picked up the reins that sunk into Chelly's fur. "No wonder why Axel hates you!" Serina groaned in annoyance. 

"I was just trying to make a point! Jeez!" Serina groaned again before veering off to the right, leaving Axel and Fable behind. Fable would look over at Serina. 

"Hey! Where are you going? Follow the trail!" 

"No! You guys don't like me very much, so I might as well go on my own!" Serina had a lot of resentment in her voice. "I bet I can discover more alone than with you two clowns!" Serina then rode off into the white mist, leaving Fable and Axel on their own. Axel chuckled under his breath.

"Watch her come crawling back. She always does." 

"Axel? What if she's really going on her own?" Fable retorted, worry present in her voice. "If she gets captured, then we cannot help her!"

"Listen, Fable, I know her well enough. Serina will not go without us. Serina likes to act all tough until she's in a fight, then she comes running back to us." Axel looked forward. "C'mon, forget about her, and let's continue down the path. Fable looked over her shoulder before shaking her head. Fable followed Axel. 

Meanwhile, Serina was proudly riding through the thicket with false courage by her side; a fake smile was all she needed to feel brave when away from her friends. Serina lit up a lantern and used it to guide her through the mist. Serina laid eyes on a serpentine-like figure that slithered past her vision. Serina moved her lantern toward the direction it went. 

"Who's there?" Serina demanded, faking courage by raising her voice, trying not to cry. The serpent would coil up in front of Akari; it was at least seventy-feet long and had six tails. Serina would look at the Caudaling. "What is your name?!"

"Marsinaka," Marsinaka responded, hissing. "You've crossed into the territory of the Caudalings, dearie." Caudalings began to surround Serina. Akari looked down at the serpents and growled behind her locked jaws, drool dribbling from her mouth. Marsinaka brandished six swords in her tails. Serina continued to faux her courage again.

"I'm not afraid of any of you!" 

"Are you not?" Marsinaka hissed as she slithered closer to Serina, sneering. Marsinaka lifted her head up and whispered in Serina's ear, her forked tongues licking her neck. "You will be once we get done with you and your disgusting mutt." Scared, Serina turned Akari around and began to run back toward Axel and Fable. Marsinaka hissed before pointing toward Serina with one of her swords. "After her!" 

Serina, in a panic, ended up running Akari straight into a tree, which knocked Akari over and threw Serina onto the soft, moist ground below; the tree collapsed from the impact. Serina stood up and hid behind Akari's rear leg as the Caudalings approached her, towering over her with their terrible fangs and disgusting drool on full display. One of the Caudalings grabbed Serina up into one of her tails and presented her to Marsinaka. Marsinaka brought her dribbling mouth inches from Serina's pale face.