XII

A cold breeze shot through the room. Serina's skin quickly became covered in goosebumps as the cold air tickled her. Serina opened her eyes and saw Caldrufini standing at the foot of the bed, looking down at her. 

"Breakfast is ready, my queen. Let us make haste to the dining hall," Caldrufini said before stepping back as if there was a wall in front of him. "There is much to discuss regarding you."

Serina yawned and rubbed the back of her neck as it ached from sleeping on it wrong. Serina climbed out of bed and went to the vanity near the large, red-tinted window. 

"I'll be there in a second. Let me fix my hair,," Serina said as she watched Caldrufini close the door, giving her privacy. Serina picked up a cold, metal comb and made her bangs with it before using it to groom her long, sandy brown hair, teasing the roots before moving down the long, shiny shafts. After she was done, Serina set the comb down, looked at herself in the mirror, and sighed. "I'm sorry, Axel, Fable, and Xenia, but you've given me no choice." Serina stepped away from the mirror and headed into the dining hall, where Caldrufini was sitting, along with his many servants. One of the servants, Kolabakk, looked down at Serina. Kolabakk sniffed the air. 

"I smell White Dove...." Kolabakk leaned forward, hovering over Serina. "You White Dove?" 

A chill when down Serina's spine when she looked up at Kolabakk, who was at least eight feet tall. Serina noticed that he had a bear-like face with four eyes and sharp fangs. Serina subtly nodded. "Yes, I am a White Dove." Serina's voice was squeaky as if fear was strangling her. 

"White Dove not welcome here." Kolabakk punched the steel table. "White Dove, leave castle!"

"Now, now, Kolabakk. This White Dove is a friend," Caldrufini chimed in. The sharp fingernail of Cadrufini scraped Serina's chin. "A very special friend she is, aren't you, my dear?" 

Serina felt a tingle down her back when the sharp nail graced her chin. Serina nodded. "Yes, I'm a special friend."

"Special friend? Me like special friends!" Kolabakk offered his furry hand to Serina. "Shake, White Dove?" Serina looked at Kolabakk's large, hairy paw and shook it slowly; Serina was tense as the hulking presence of Kolabakk scared her. Kolabakk chuckled. "Name, White Dove?"

"Serina," Serina replied. "I used to run with two other White Doves." Serina picked up the glass of wine that was served to her. "Let's just say I didn't get along with them too well." Serina sipped the wine; Serina spat it out the second it hit her tongue. "What the hell is that?!" 

"That is dragon's blood. It has pickle juice in it." Caldrufini placed a hand under his chin. "Do you not like pickle juice?"

"No! Pickles and pickle juice are nasty!" Serina cleaned her mouth off. "Do you have anything else? Dove Feathers or Xenia's Majesty?" 

"We don't carry those in my castle, but we have Black Hole Silence with vinegar if you'd like." Caldrufini clasped his hands together. "Or would you prefer beer?"

"I would like juice, please. Orange juice." Serina leaned back in her chair. "Also, pickle juice is made from vinegar!" Serina sighed heavily. "Sorry if I came across as rude. It wasn't my intention to do so."

"Do not worry. As queen, your rudeness is never taken seriously," Caldrufini replied. "We take the rudeness of royalty as a powerful statement." 

"So, I can be rude all I want?" Serina smirked. "That's sweet. You see, my friends would always bring me down when I was rude or I snapped; the thing is, it was always when I was rude, never when Axel or Fable was rude! It wasn't fair!" Serina huffed. "I was always treated like a middle child." 

"Ah, I see. So, not only was it love you sought, but it was power as well," Caldrufini inquired before placing a hand on his chin. "Very interesting." 

The powerful scent of breakfast wafted into the dining hall as four women in little grey dresses came to the table and put six massive platters full of pancakes, waffles, bacon, sausages, and biscuits on the table. Caldrufini raised his hands. 

"Feast, my servants! Feast, my queen!" 

Serina was unsure if she could reach over and grab food or if she had to wait until the food was passed to her. Serina was always taught manners and respect, so seeing how Kolabakk and the rest of the table members reached over and grabbed their food was a culture shock. Serina then decided to follow their lead and grab three pancakes using her fork. Serina nervously reached for the jar of maple syrup, feeling like her hand could get stabbed with a fork at any second. Serina grabbed the syrup and swiftly pulled her hand back before dousing her pancakes. Serina then tucked into her meal. 

Meanwhile, Axel and Fable were out looking for Serina back at the Roost.

"Serina!?" Axel called out. "Serina!? Where are you?" Axel went to the mouth of the forest. "Serina!?" Fable touched Axel's shoulder. 

"She can't be far. After all, she's very fearful." Fable whistled for Chelly. "We must split up. I'll go into the forest; you check near Xenia's temple. Alright?" Fable mounted Chelly from her tail, then gave the giant canine a kick to her sides, riding off into the Red Timber Forest. Axel climbed onto Lobo and made haste to Xenia's temple, unknowing that Serina was across the border from them and pretty far away. 

Axel brought Lobo into a gallop; his paws thundered through the forest. Axel's white hair billowed in the wind; he was scared for Serina's life, believe it or not, despite their disagreements. Axel approached the bridge that led to Xenia's temple. 

"Serina! Where are you?" Axel cried out before looking at the temple gates. Axel rode toward them. Axel halted Lobo in front of the gate before dismounting. "I need to speak to Xenia! Now!" 

The guards opened the doors and let Axel inside. Axel ran toward Xenia's throne room. The second pair of doors opened. Axel ran through the doors and stopped in front of Xenia, whose sandal was right in his face. Axel looked up at the goddess. 

"Xenia! I need your help!" Axel exclaimed. "Serina has gone missing!" 

"Axel, Serina didn't go missing. Serina was lured to somewhere dark and dingy," Xenia replied as she closed her eyes and attempted to feel Serina's energy, but she couldn't feel it; Caldrufini snuffed it out. "I can't pinpoint her location, so that can only mean one thing. Caldrufini got his filthy hands on her."

"That son of a bitch!" Axel's hands lit up with Ruby magic. "I'll give him a piece of my mind!" Axel went to turn around, but Xenia stopped him. 

"Axel! It is much too dangerous to enter without some assistance," Xenia replied before she gave Axel another fragment of her soul. "Here. This will ensure your power cannot be snuffed out." Axel took the fragment. Axel's body felt warm before a rush of power ran through his blood. Axel's fingers twitched.

"Thank you, your majesty," Axel said before he made his way back outside the temple. A lot of things were on Axel's mind now; Is Serina dead? Was her magic taken over by black magic? Was she hexed? Axel didn't know, and he was scared. Axel mounted Lobo and made his way to Caldrufini's castle. Axel ushered Lobo into a sprint, ready to kick some ass, staff in hand. 

Axel blew past Fable, who soon joined him. Fable had a lot of questions for Axel. "Why are you riding toward the border?" Fable asked. Axel didn't respond. Fable rolled her eyes. "Do you know where Serina is?" Fable asked harshly, wanting an answer, but Axel held his tongue. Fable would growl. "Do you even know what the hell you're doing?!"

"Yes!" Axel snapped back. "Xenia told me that Serina is over the border and at Caldrufini's castle! We need to get her back, even if it kills us!" Axel leaned forward to give himself more balance on Lobo's back as he weaved him between trees. Axel saw the gate to Caldrufini's caste. "Alright, we're coming up on it. Are you ready, Fable?"

Fable looked at Axel, then at the gate, then back at Axel. Fable's eyes narrowed. "Yes. I'm ready."

"Alright, we're about to kick a hornet's nest." Axel tightly gripped Lobo's scruff and jammed his heels into his sides. "Hyah! Hyah! Ride, Lobo! Ride!" 

A blast of Ruby magic blew the gates open.