III

The moonlight shone brightly through the windows of The Roost. Fable, who was reading, looked up from her book and glanced outside, admiring the stars above and the twinkling grass that was lightly touched with dew. Fable marked her book with a piece of red cloth and went outside to go stargazing. Fable snuggled up next to Chelly and rested her back against her soft, plush fur, which softly billowed in the wind. Chelly looked up at the moon and howled; the other two wolves joined her. Fable smiled and looked toward the moon. Fable heard the door open.

"The moon is gorgeous this night," Axel said as he walked toward Fable, staff in hand. Axel found a chair next to Fable and sat down beside her. Axel rested his staff against his thigh and placed a hand over its tip. "I just wish that we could spend such a night with Xenia." 

 "Yea," Fable replied before opening her book again. A crisp, chilly wind picked up, which made Fable shiver a little. "It's getting a little cold. I hope Xenia isn't bringing an early winter." 

 "I doubt she would do that. After all, no one has defiled her as of these past few years," Axel replied. "But, I guess time will tell when Xenia brings forth another one-year winter." Axel leaned against Chelly, allowing his body to sink into her plush, brown fur. "Hey, we should take another ride tonight, just you and me. Serina can do whatever." Fable closed her book.

"Sounds like a plan." Fable took a moment to look at the cover of her book before looking up at Axel, then grabbing her cloth bookmark once more and slipping it between the crease of the book before slamming it shut. 

Fable stood up, slipped the book into her pouch, then whistled, which made Chelly stand up. Axel made haste toward a tree, climbed it, then jumped down from one of its branches and landed on the back of Lobo. Fable gestured for Axel to follow her into the Red Timber Forest. The two White Doves commenced forth. 

The Red Timber Forest was flooded with the sounds of crickets, owls, and the sound of wolves walking along the firm forest floor. Axel's eyes were pulled toward the sky; he saw the constellation of Xenia. Axel pointed to the sky with his staff. 

"Looks like Xenia is watching over us on this night," Axel stated. Fable's eyes followed Axel's staff. 

"Yea, I see it. Xenia must be sending up a message of peace," Fable replied softly. "Well, we know we are under her divine protection."

"Always and always again," Axel replied. Axel gripped onto Lobo's scruff and drove him into a gallop, flying past Fable and Chelly. A giggle came from Fable as she saw Axel zoom past her. Fable swiftly kicked Chelly's sides and brought the canine into a gallop to pursue him. The two White Doves chased one another through the Red Timber Forest, past the Charmed Tree, and over the Two-Headed River. Fable and Axel continued to mindlessly fool around until they were two miles away from the Red Timber Forest. The pair were quick to realize where they were, and it wasn't good. 

"Axel? Do you know where we are?" Fable said nervously as she looked around, seeing a strange red miasma envelop them; butterflies, which were nervousness incarnate, fluttered around in her stomach. Axel rose his Ruby Staff, preparing himself for a sudden ambush.

"I don't know, but where ever we are, I have my Ruby Staff to repel any evil. Ruby, as well as diamond, repels Shadows and protects them from demonic possession. That's why I wear a ruby on my neck and have ruby buttons on my tunic." Axel reached for his Ruby Dagger with his other hand. The dagger handle was silver with a dove carved into it. The dove's wings acted like the hilt. The blade was a ten-inch, sharpened ruby with a double edge. The handle was decorated with four small, white dove feathers. Axel cleared his throat. "If anything not of Xenia's grace is to harm us, you shall be smitten!"