XVI

Axel and Fable bolted through the Red Timber Forest on the backs of their wolves; the entire forest was quickly becoming washed away by the tidal wave. Branches, leaves, and trees were effortlessly thrown about like plastic bags. Droplets of the cursed water were splashing against Axel's tunic, causing steam to rise from it; a hissing sound was heard each time the tunic was impacted by the droplets. Axel looked to his left and saw a group of Stalkers fleeing from their hiding spots, and Caudalings came slithering out of their settlements. 

"The entire ecosystem is stirred up!" Fable exclaimed, her jet-black hair riding the wind. "The world is falling apart!"

The ground began to shake as rows of massive, thorny, rose-covered vines erupted from the soil and attempted to grab the fleeing White Doves, but with a series of swift movements, they escaped the eager grasp of the vines. 

"It's Grassmin! He's trying to stop us!" Axel exclaimed, keeping his head low to avoid the passing branches that came dangerously close to his head. "It doesn't want us to leave!" Axel reached for one of his daggers and brandished it by the tip of the blade; then, when Grassmin attempted to grab him, he threw the dagger into the tip of his vine, causing Grassmin to retreat the vine. As Axel turned his head back around, he caught the grim glimpse of a massive tree limb coming his way. Axel ducked under the limb with just a split second to react, narrowly avoiding decapitation. Axel looked at Fable. "Something on our left is throwing things at us!"

"It can't be another tidal wave. It can't be!" Fable's eyes made contact with the end of the trail. "Hurry! The end of the trail is just this way!" Fable gave Chelly a kick to her sides, making her speed up slightly. 

"White Doves!" Makki called out as he slithered after the pair. "Don't go that way! It's flooded!" 

"Makki?" Axel replied, glancing down at the serpent. "What do you mean flooded?"

"That entire region is flooded! Stick to the path less traveled!" Makki would get himself caught in a Stalker's vines. Makki struggled to escape; his serpentine body was slowly shredded by the Stalker's vines. "Go to the Frosted High rise! It's the only way you'll live!" 

"Frosted Highrise...." Axel glanced up at the snow-capped mountain. Axel looked at Fable. "Fable, to the mountains! Hurry!" Axel made a sharp turn to the right and zipped down the trails toward Frosted Highrise. Fable followed Axel's lead despite being at least five ranks above him. 

Axel and Fable continued their mad dash toward the safety of Frosted High rise. Axel and Fable were met with trouble. A large rift had opened as a result of an earthquake. Axel looked back at Fable, then at the approaching tidal wave before driving Lobo into a sprint; then, with a few powerful strides, Lobo jumped over the enormous rift. Fable attempted to drive Chelly over the rift, but the canine refused and stopped short, as she was very fearful. The sudden stopping of the wolf would cause Fable to be flung from her seat and into an overhanging tree branch, where she dangled from her tunic. Fable's turned to Chelly. 

"Go! Jump! Chelly! Jump!" Fable looked at the approaching tidal wave that screamed death. Fable looked back at Chelly, whose tail was between her legs. "Jump, Chelly! C'mon!" 

Axel knew he had to do something. Axel would raise his staff. 

"I teleport to you!" Axel vanished in a flash of white light before he appeared in the tree Fable was stuck in and began freeing her from her situation. Meanwhile, Lobo was howling at Chelly, trying to encourage her to jump, but she was too scared. Lobo ran to the edge of the rift and whined; his ears drooped down; even though Lobo could not speak, his emotions could still be felt. Chelly took a step closer to Lobo; her paw caused some of the ground to break, which scared Chelly and caused her to step back.