IX

Fable and Serina were riding along the beaten path of the Red Timber Forest. Serina looked down at the mirror she was given and decided to test it out in the moonlight. Serina held it up to the moon and angled the mirror to allow the moonlight to reflect off of it and cast a light onto the shadowed area of the trees beside them. Serina then went to test it with her own magic. Serina held the mirror out, angled it, and then cast an orb of ruby magic at it; it bounced off of it and hit something hiding in the trees.

As Serina went to try out her mirror on something else, she saw the reflection of a large monster in the mirror; that's the thing she hit with her magic. Frightened, Serina swiftly turned around and held the mirror out at the monster, who would roar at it and start to back away; I suppose it didn't like its own reflection, or perhaps it knew of the power Serina possessed. Serina let out a sigh of relief once the monster backed off. 

"Fable, did you see that?" Serina asked, sounding a little nervous. 

"No, Serina," Fable replied, not looking away from the path before her. "As you can see, I'm trying to focus on riding here." Fable sighed. "Whatever you saw was probably just a chipmunk or something. Relax." 

"No, Serina. It was very large. It had white eyes and-and-"

"Shush," Fable hissed. "I'm sure it was nothing."

Serina sighed heavily and put the mirror back into her satchel. When Serina picked up the reins, she heard something behind them. Serina looked over at Fable but held her tongue in fear of getting yelled at. Serina held an orb of ruby magic in her hand, bracing for a possible fight. Serina was right to brace herself because, within an instant, the monster from before pounced from the bushes with its claws outstretched. Serina's entire body froze in response, only to move once she heard Fable cry out, "Diamond rain! I summon you!"

It began to rain diamonds from the sky; sharp, dagger-like diamonds that cut the flesh of the deplorable monster very easily. The monster retreated back into the bushes where it came from. Fable sighed heavily, then look back toward the trail. Serina looked at the diamonds all over the ground before looking back toward the trail and following Fable. Serina was about to say something to Fable, but she held her tongue once again. 

"Serina?" Fable said, trying to spark up a conversation. "Why didn't you tell me that was going to happen?"

"Because I-I thought you were going to snap at me!" Serina replied, her voice shaking. Serina then sighed. "I'm sorry for yelling." Fable frowned a little.

"It's...alright, I suppose." Fable looked at Serina with soft eyes. "I mean, I thought you were lying." Fable shook her head subtly. "I guess my hissing prior caused this. I'm sorry, Serina." Fable faced the trail again. Serina glanced at the stars before looking toward the trail. The shape of the Roost came into view; the gleam of the silvery feathers that lined the edges acted as a beacon under the moonlight. 

It didn't take long for Fable and Serina to reach the Roost. Fable and Serina dismounted from their wolves and quietly went inside. The two were greeted by a sleeping Axel, who's staff was laying dormant on the ivory and marble floor. Fable did away with her robes and she would fold them, then she set them on the couch, ready to be washed in the morning. Fable slowly crept over to Axel and gently picked him up, then carried him into the bedroom; she struggled somewhat, as Axel was bigger than her. Fable laid Axel on his bed, then started to pull the covers over him.

"Mmm, Fable? Is that you?" Axel mumbled. Fable smiled and got into bed with him, and then she would gently grab one of his hands.

"Yes, it's me." Fable started to rub the back of Axel's hand with her thumb. "How are you feeling?"