XIII

Caldrufini, Serina, and the rest of the members at the table continued to eat their breakfast, unaware of the presence of Axel and Serina just yet. Caldrufini glanced down at his plate.

"Serina, I think it's time I show you how to use your new powers," Caldrufini said. "I think you'd be a good wielder of hexes based on your background and understanding of white magic."

"I'll take a stab at it. What's the harm in a little black magic?" Serina replied as she pushed her empty platter away. "Well, I'm stuffed. I guess we should greet the day now."

"Yes, my queen." Caldrufini stood up. "I've given you black magic, so you can use it in its most basic form." Caldrufini extended a hand toward Serina. "Come, my queen. Let us go."

 As Serina and Caldrufini began to ascend the spiral staircase to the roof of the castle, one of his guards came running inside in a state of panic. "Your majesty! We're being attacked!"

"Attacked? By what? By who?" Caldrufini turned to the guard. "Tell me what you saw."

"I saw White Doves, your majesty. Two of them. Three of our men have just been slaughtered." The guard looked at Serina. "Do you know them?"

Serina's face was still, as she knew why the White Doves came here; she also knew the two the guard was talking about. Serina snapped back to reality and blinked a few times before responding. "I think I might know who you're talking about." Serina looked up the stairs, then at Caldrufini. "Give me a moment." 

Serina raced up the several flights of stone stairs to the top floor, then she began to sprint down the greyscale hallways, passing several armed men with crossbows before reaching the final set of stairs to the roof. Serina hurried up the stairs and stopped when she reached a trapdoor. Serina opened the trap door and climbed up the ladder next to it; what she saw was horrific. Axel and Fable murder everyone in sight. Serina couldn't and wouldn't let that happen, so Serina grabbed one of the crossbows that lay precariously on the edge of the castle wall before firing an arrow at Axel.

As Axel and Serina were slaughtering Caldrufini's guards, an arrow was zipped by him. Looking up, Axel's eyes made out the stark figure of Serina against the morning sky and volleys of arrows that rained down at him. Axel did a double-take before he looked at Fable.  "Serina is attacking us!" 

Another arrow zipped by Axel's face before he raised his staff and cast a shield spell, protecting him from harm as he charged toward the castle doors with Lobo. A pair of vines came from the ground once again and ensnared Lobo, forcing the canine to the ground. Axel swiftly bailed and landed with a roll before jumping to his feet. Axel glared at the vines; Grassmin was back and fully recovered after the blow he took from Xenia's Judgment. Axel was about to fire a volley of ruby magic at the vines, but one of Caldrufini's guards grabbed him from behind. 

"Your odds of escaping this time are slim to none, Mr. White Hair!" Said the guard as he reached for his dagger. The guard held it to Axel's throat. Axel's eyes grew narrow and his teeth were bared as he felt his head getting pulled back. The guard's cold, heartless dagger touched Axel's throat. The guard hissed between clenched teeth. "When you die, tell Xenia Caldrufini fucked her mother."

"The only one who's getting fucked is you, you son of a bitch..." Axel's voice had a noticeable growl to it as he pushed against the hungry, eager dagger that was death incarnate. Axel suddenly broke out of the choke hold and drove his boot into the guard's chest. Axel then picked up his staff and spun it in front of him, ready to parry the next incoming attack, which was a swift strike from a dagger, which struck Axel's staff with a loud clang before Axel swept out his opponent's legs, forcing them to the ground. Axel kicked the dagger from the man's hand before pointing the tip of his staff toward the throat of the man. The guard began to chuckle.