XI

The morning came again. Serina woke up before everyone else, still in a sour mood. Serina would go to the fridge and grab a quick breakfast before going outside to feed the wolves. The morning was rather cold and could easily give someone frostbite if they weren't prepared, but Serina was using her magic to keep frostbite at bay. Serina absentmindedly threw piles of steaks to the wolves before she leaned against the wall of the Roost, watching the wolves eat. Serina sighed; a cloud of condensation swirled around her mouth when the warm air intertwined with the coldness around her. 

"No matter what Axel and Fable say, I will always be alone." Serina looked down at her hand, watching the ruby magic dance between her fingers. Serina narrowed her eyes at it. "Maybe they don't need me or my powers." Serina sighed, then looked into the Red Timber Forest; a breeze came through and spoke to her in twisted tongues. Serina listened to the wind speak before she looked at Akari, then mounted her before riding off into the forest. 

Serina took a moment to glance up at the towering trees, which stood like sentries that could see what most couldn't. Serina continued down the trail until she reached the Charmed Tree, where she dismounted Akari and sat down against it, listening to its entrancing windchimes. Serina was suddenly brought into a trance, where she saw herself in love with a mysterious, tall, handsome man dressed in a black robe and white hood that hid his pale complexion. Serina smiled, as this seemed so real to her; was this a sign of something coming? 

"White Dove. You. By the tree," said a mysterious, whispered voice. Serina snapped out of the trance and looked around. Serina saw nothing and leaned her head back against the smooth bark of the Charmed Tree before she heard the voice again. "Serina." The voice knew her name, but how? Was this a trick of the Shadows?

"Hello?" Serina responded. Suddenly, a little pink orb appeared in her vision. It was a fairy. Serina looked at the fairy, whose wings were reminiscent of flower pedals. "Who are you?"

"I am your divine protector," said the fairy; oddly enough, the only divine protector of the White Doves was Xenia, so this had to be a trick. Serina looked at the fairy again.

"How are you, my divine protector? Xenia is my divine protector!" Serina looked at Xenia's temple. "If she was here, she could tell you otherwise."

"Listen. I've heard your struggles. You're looking for love, right?" Said the fairy. The fairy spread out her arms. "I can help you with that! I know someone who would love to be with you!"

"You do?" Serina asked, leaning forward with much interest. "Who? Can you take me to them?" Serina stood up. "Is he a White Dove?"

"Why yes! He is a very handsome one, I must say!" The fairy watched Serina mount Akari. The fairy teleported to Serina's face again. "Follow my lead, and I can show you your true love!" The fairy began to lead Serina down an obscure path of the Red Timber Forest. Serina began to feel uneasy, as she figured this was a trap since the fairies of the Charmed Tree are known to be deceivers, but Serina's overwhelming curiosity urged her on. 

Soon, Serina and the fairy were well into the Green Tar Swamp. Serina looked at the fairy. "What would a White Dove be doing all the way out here?" Serina wanted to question the fairy in hopes of getting the slightest bit of truth out of her. Serina could see the Dire Bird's Keep from here. "We're getting close to the Dire Bird's Keep. Again, why would a White Dove be all the way out here?"

"He is the explorative type. You see, he's not like other White Doves; he hates being like everyone else. He likes to be different and takes risks most White Doves wouldn't." The fairy looked down at the tar, then back up at Serina. "My name is Monica, by the way."

"Monica..." Serina repeated softly. "So, Monica. Are you sure you're telling the truth?" 

"Why would I lie to you? Do I look like a liar?" Monica retorted in a defensive manner. Monica sighed. "People always say that about me." Monica lowered herself onto Akari's thick, furry neck. "Feel free to ask me questions if need be."