ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ɴɪɴᴇ

(ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ɴɪɴᴇ: ᴀᴄᴄᴜsᴀᴛɪᴏɴs)

Aven had to walk considerably fast in order to remain behind the Golden Trio. Her disillusionment charm held strong, as did her silencing charm, keeping her hidden and footsteps quiet and she dashed through the corridor while lurking behind the familiar heads of bushy, red, and black hair.

"Malfoy knows about this necklace. It was in a case at Borgin and Burkes four years ago, I saw him having a good look at it while I was hiding from him and his dad. This is what he was buying that day when we followed him! He remembered it and he went back for it!"

Aven's eyebrows rose at Harry's accusation and admit to having trailed the Malfoy boy. Of course, as soon as she'd seen it, Aven recognized the cursed gem. Not only had she'd come across it multiple times in Borgin and Burkes during common visits with her mother, but she'd also found it tucked in Draco's trunk, layered beneath his clothes and other items. Not that she'd come out and say that she'd snooped through his things, of course . . .

"I- I dunno, Harry. Loads of people go to Borgin and Burkes . . . and didn't that girl say Katie got it in the girls' bathroom?" Ron hesitantly disagreed.

"She said she came back from the bathroom with it, she didn't necessarily get it in the bathroom itself-,"

Ron jumped. "McGonagall!"

Harry's head snapped up to where the Professor was hurrying down the corridor.

"Hagrid says you four saw what happened to Katie Bell- upstairs to my office at once, please!" She demanded, pausing as she looked closer. "What's that you're holding, Potter?"

"It's the thing she touched."

"Good lord," McGonagall said, looking alarmed as she took it hastily. "No, no, Filch, they're with me! Take this necklace to Professor Snape at once, but be sure not to touch it, keep it wrapped in the scarf!"

Filch took it gently, giving them a stern look before bounding down the corridor, hobbling with his cat. Potter and the others followed McGonagall, and Aven felt nerves bundle in the pit of her stomachs as she did the same.

Her office was cold, despite the fire crackling in the corner, burgundy and gold decorating the room. Snow fell from outside the windows, blanketing the ground. Leanne, who must've been brought up as well, sniffled in a ornate armchair opposite of Professor McGonagall's desk.

"Well? What happened?"

Rushing, the Golden three informed the woman of what had occurred, voices shaky. McGonagall eventually sent Leanne away, her loud cries far too loud. This left Potter, Granger, Weasley, and Aven, although the Slytherin stood farther back as she observed the scene.

"What happened when Katie touched the necklace?"

Harry swallowed. "Katie rose up in the air. Then she began screaming, and she collapsed. Professor, can I see Professor Dumbledore, please?"