ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛʜɪʀᴛʏ

(ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛʜɪʀᴛʏ: ɪɴᴊᴜʀᴇᴅ)

Aven had only just woken up when she'd heard the news. She'd been in the process of lacing her shoes when Pansy had burst into the dorm, concern lighting her face as she panted, clearly out of breath. Her lips moved, not quite forming any words, only for Aven to quickly stand rushing for her wand and the door.

This is it, she thought. Voldemort's here.

"It's Draco," Pansy finally sputtered, barely breathing at all. Her hair was wild, as if she'd been running down the corridors and up the stairs in order to find Aven and tell her. "He was injured. Badly."

Aven gaped at her, and unknown clench in her stomach making her heart skip a beat. If she didn't know any better, she'd say she was scared for Draco. For who, of all people, she'd consider a friend.

Merlin, Draco would shit his pants if he knew Aven had just suggested that they were acquaintances.

"What is it? What happened?" Aven rushed out, wasting no time in running down the stairs, jumping two at a time. The common room door was open, the distinct, running outline of Blaise being seen down the hall. Theo waited in the dungeons for Aven and Pansy to emerge, however his hands fidgeted at his sides anxiously.   His bottom lip was in the process of being mauled by his teeth, a nervous tick Aven had noticed he suffered from. She could taste the metallic of his blood on his lips when she'd kissed him before.

Aven hadn't spoken with Theo ever since he'd implied she didn't trust him. She been a coward, truth be told, too scared to approach or explain Draco's and her situation to him.

Pansy surpassed both of them, not waiting for them to keep up before breaking into a sprint. Aven briskly walked down the hall as well, grateful for it to be primarily empty. She nearly jumped when a warm hand enveloped her own, Theo's thumb caressing hers as they walked together. Aven would normally push him off, deny him the right of public affection. But at the moment his hand in hers seemed almost like an apology. An apology for what he said yesterday. And apology and understanding.

Although Aven was concerned for Draco, she couldn't help but find a comfort in the presence of Theo so close to her. Aven never thought she'd claim to like affection, or skin-to-skin contact beyond sex, but it seemed that a lot of firsts were occurring with Theo by her side. She trusted him, even if he thought otherwise, and that was a rare occurrence.

Finally, finally, the two of them rounded the corner, halting to a stop before the hospital wing, which had its doors closed. The looming, wooden structures went to the roof, both doors firmly planted together with impenetrable wards. Aven had never seen them shut before, and she figured that must mean that whatever had happened to Draco required privacy. That whatever had happened to him was bad.

"What happened to him?" Blaise blurted, pacing the hallway. Blaise, Adrien, and Pansy all stood before the door, Pansy bent over sucking in air, Adrien slumped against the wall. A sad pang hit her chest at knowing that this was all of Draco's support group; five people. But Aven knew that these were the same five people that would be here for her if the positions were switched. In the end it didn't matter the amount of people, but the value they held.