ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛʜɪʀᴛʏ-ᴏɴᴇ

(ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛʜɪʀᴛʏ-ᴏɴᴇ: Aᴠᴀᴅᴀ Kᴇᴅᴀᴠʀᴀ)

It was nearing eight o'clock, a time of day that brings darkness. Ironic, today, it brought light. The sky, which should be clad in black oblivion and freckles of stars, remained dreary, not a single star nor moon in sight. A heavy fog had formed, ghosting across the castle with the help of an eery wind that carried the smell of flames and blood.

Aven was surging down the hall, eyeing each corridor window she passed, waiting for the fog to lift and the stars to form. There were no stars, but there was no darkness. The sky was lit with bursting colors, the reds and green of the battle below reflected in the glassy fog hanging high in the air.

Aven ran so hard her heart beat in her head; she could feel her pulse racing and her blood surging as she repeated in her head, over and over, "hold on, Draco.'

Her fear increased. Her fear for Draco, and for the man Voldemort would make him become. Fear for her friends, for her lover, for her people. Draco was not a strong person. He may be intimidating, and he may very well be the most infuriating person Aven had ever met, but he was her family. And he wasn't strong. He would cave in as soon as he cast the killing curse. Aven had prepared for the night. Whether she had done that preparing through various nightmares or rigorous training, she was ready. She was prepared to take this off Draco's shoulders, because the weight of his actions would crush him.

Aven would gladly kill a man if it means saving those she cared for from that type of pain and guilt. Killing Albus Dumbledore would chase Draco for the rest of his existence, and he had a long life to live.  Aven, on the other hand, didn't plan on being here long; she'd come to terms with that quite some time ago.

She hung a corner, shoes skidding to match her racing heart. She didn't know where she was going, but it seemed her body knew well enough, because she continued running with a set location in mind.

The air was cold when she finally emerged outside, ashes singeing her nose as she ducked behind a pillar. She could hear voices ringing out in the night, wrapped in speculation and venom. Her hands grew shaky and she peered around the edge of the pillar, spotting Dumbledore almost instantly. Her blood chilled.

"Right under your nose, and you never realized!"

Draco was standing in the middle of the tower, building arched above him, blocking the moon and the stars and the sky. It was just Draco and Dumbledore, wands raised, eyes bright.

"Ingenious. Yet . . . Forgive me, where are they now? You seem unsupported."

I'm right here. You're not alone.

"They met some of your guards. They're having a fight down below. They won't be long," Draco warned, voice wavering. "I came on ahead. I- I've got a job to do."

Dumbledore smiled somberly. Smiled. He knew what was coming. He welcomed it.

"Well, then, you must get on and do it, my dear boy."