ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ-ᴏɴᴇ

(ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ-ᴏɴᴇ: ɪɢɴᴏʀᴀɴᴄᴇ ɪs ʙʟɪss)

They were exiting charms when it happened; Aven's forehead was shining with a thin layer of sweat thanks to the activity they had been participating in, and her guard was down. That was when someone cleared their throat, a crisp (meant to be intimidating but turned embarrassing) noise. Aven had turned, not expecting Potter to be standing so close, his shoulders squared and lips set in a firm line. His eyebrows were drawn close, as if he was thinking too hard about something.

"Can I help you?" Aven said flatly, scanning him; he was standing as if he expected a fight, and if he said one wrong thing, then Aven would gladly deliver.

"You were there last Hogsmeade trip."

He spit it as if it were an accusation. He stood frozen in the hallway, and the rushing bodies around them eventually began to pause, too, viewing the spectacle. Aven lowered her voice before responding, not wanting bystanders to overhear their conversation.

"Well done, Potter, you can see. Thank Merlin glasses exist."

"Don't evade the question, Selwyn."

"You didn't ask a question, Potter, you made a statement," Aven rolled her eyes dramatically, and she noticed Harry's knuckles tighten around his wand, which laid prepared in his palm down at his side.

"How was your Christmas? Did you have fun hanging around the homicidal murderers you call mates?"

He had a menacing scowl engraved on his face, lips turned up cruelly at the sides of his mouth and eyes narrowed. Aven stepped closer and jabbed her finger at his chest.

"And how was your Christmas, Potter? Did you open all your gifts and have dinner with your mum and dad- oh, wait," she smirked, "You don't have parents."

His wand flashed, and suddenly the wooded tip was digging into the sink beneath her chin.

"That's a bit hypocritical," he said through his teeth.

"Yeah, but at least I'm not a pussy about it." She shrugged. "Besides, my dad's still kicking, unfortunately."

"You're right, that is unfortunate."

"You're honestly monopolizing this conversation by trying to be threatening. Seriously, is your only personality trait being obsessed with pureblood Slytherins?"

He disregarded her question, pressing his wand harder into her neck. Aven glared at him.

"Where do you disappear to every night?"

"Book club meetings. We're actually reading an informative text about how not to be a condescending dick; maybe you'd learn something. I can extend an invitation, though I can't guarantee you a spot. You have a way of making people hate you, you know."