ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʜʏ-sɪx

(ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ-sɪx:

Strobe lights were pulsing, illuminating the common room in various colors of red, yellow, green, and blue. Aven had to physically shove people out of her way upon entering, writhing bodies dancing wildly and rubbing against each other to the music.

The smell of sweat, booze, and cinnamon prominently hung in the air, the combination nauseating and familiar all at once. Flashes of skin, tight clothing, and hair were caught in Aven's peripheral as she worked her way towards where the alcohol was on display.

Faces blurred together with every movement, and Aven saw mixes of familiar and unfamiliar faces, all alike with lazy grins and red cheeks. Streamers hung from the rafters, some torn and dragging against the floor in yellow pieces. Aven felt high off her surroundings before even consuming everything. At parties like this, she wasn't a death eater or Slytherin, she was just another student searching for escape and fun.

She prowled the makeshift bar, nails dragging against the cheap table as her eyes scanned different sized bottles holding amber and clear liquids. With so many options, she chose whichever she imagined had the highest alcohol percentage before plucking the entire bottle and unscrewing the cap.

Bracing herself with a heavy breath, she lifted the rim to her lips, breathing the intoxicating air one more time before taking a large sip. It burned all the way down, leaving a sweet residue against her tongue. She closed her eyes briefly, reveling in the sense of temporary freedom.

She took several smaller sips as she leant against the banister, the wood cutting into her back. Her thought sullied, growing dull to the point of nonexistence.

"Aven? What are you doing here?"

Aven's eyes snapped opened as she polished off the unknown substance, holding her finger up to Pansy as she did so. Tossing the empty bottle to the side, and shrugged at Pansy.

"I'm here for the party," she slurred. "Isn't that why everyone's here?"

Pansy stared at her, unconvinced. "Are you okay?"

Aven strained her ear, the music growing louder, Pansy's voice dying to a near whisper in comparison.

"I'm great! This is exactly what I needed."

"Where've you been all day? You never showed to lessons . . . I have to be honest, I'm worried about you."

The blonde rolled her eyes. "I was sleeping. Who are you, my mum?"

Pansy recoiled, watching blankly as Aven reached for another drink. Pansy stepped to her left, blocking the table from Aven's view.

"I think you've had enough."

Aven sent a glare to the other girl, her jaw clenching.

"Do me a favor and fuck off, Pans. I don't need your judgement tonight."