Not special

It had been a month since I was discharged from the hospital.

I found a new therapist. And I was really talking to her. I knew I had to get better. I had a reason to get better - Emily. And this time therapy was going really well. I didn't know was she so good at her job or was it me. I've changed. I wasn't hiding from my own thoughts anymore. Instead, I tried to work them out.

I still had nightmares but every time I woke up from them Emily pulled me closer to her. "I'm here," she was saying and I felt safe.

I wasn't afraid of monsters anymore. The love and faith killed them.

Hotch didn't let me work until my therapist would say I was ready. But I didn't mind. I was at home getting better, reading books Reid was giving me and I found a new hobby. I started to paint. I wasn't making masterpieces but it was helping me.

When Emily wasn't on cases we would go out somewhere. The place didn't matter, I was with her. I knew she felt the same way. One evening we were wandering on the streets and she stopped and said, "you know, it's so good to just be with you. Even in middle of nowhere."

But now I was at home, waiting for her to come back from work. I was in the kitchen waiting for chicken to be ready.

"Hey, love, I'm home," I heard a voice.

"Hey," I yelled and ran to the door.

I wrapped my arms around her neck and kissed her. As we broke it she was smiling.

"How was your day?" she asked.

"As usual," I shrugged, "I made dinner." The timer started making sounds, "and it's ready."

"Smells fantastic," she whispered pulling me closer. I felt her heartbeat and the warmth of her body. I could never get enough of her.

I put plates on the table and we started to eat. She was tired.

"No cases?" I asked.

"Nope, paperwork," she replied.

"Well, I guess serial killers do take days off after all," I laughed and she looked me in the eyes.

"How do you really feel?" she was still worried. Last time I lied about it and we all know how that turned out. But this time I wasn't lying.

"Better," I said and put my hand on hers, "I swear."

"Okay," she didn't cease the eye contact.

"I put you through a lot and I'm sorry."

"I thought I lost you," she whispered.

"I know, Em," I stood up and hugged her. Her head laid on my chest and I was stroking her hair, "but I'm here and I'm doing better. Thanks to you."

She raised her eyes on me, her beautiful dark eyes. I'd never noticed before how she was looking at me. Like there wasn't anyone who was better than me. I kissed her forehead.

"Let's eat," I said and sat back.

"When's your next session?"

"Tomorrow."

"Do you need me to take you?"

"I'm okay," I shrugged, "but if you wanna avoid paperwork..." I smirked.

"I'll call Hotch later," she smiled.

We finished with dinner and Emily cleaned the kitchen. She suggested watching something and I agreed.

We were laying on the couch, she turned on something I've never even heard of before. But I didn't care, I was with her.

"It's so good to have you in my arms," she whispered.