25. The discovery of the old lantern and sibling love

Clarissa's POV

Clarissa's POV

"I hope you're right Mikey", I shouted towards the asthmatic boy from the middle of the group , who was walking surprisingly fast for not being able to see much. With the only light being ahead of us, everyone was holding on to who they could or bringing their hands out in front of them to make sure not to smack into anything. Currently, I was in the middle of Andi and Brand, with Brand being on my left and Andi on my right. Meanwhile, Mikey was in the lead, Stef and Data were in the front, and Mouth was somewhere in the mix.

"Oh my gosh, whose hands are these?", shouts Andi as she jumps up a few feet out of shock before trying to look to see who the culprit was after she felt two hands hit her butt. I let out a quick sigh....found him.

"That would be the most good looking and charming boy you've ever met doll face", calls out Mouth. Although I couldn't see his face, I knew he had the biggest smirk he could manage plastered right on his face.

Andi just shuddered before turning around at the jokester I called my brother. "Now you listen here...you may be my best friend's little brother, but as if!" she remarked clearly before turning around swiftly, her long brunette hair smacking Mouth right in the face. The rest of the group let out soft chuckles as they hear the scene

Mouth let out a small gag and cough in return. "Did you know your hair tastes like strawberries?"

"Of course, my shampoo is strawberry scented. How would you know?"

"Because you just gave me a mouthful of it", he remarked spitefully as he tried to grab the hair out of his mouth.

"That's very fitting then, isn't it little brother?" I let out a laugh as I kept walking with the group, leaving my brother behind a few feet.

"Haha. Very funny", Mouth just shook his head before catching up as everyone grew closer to Mikey and the glow of light ahead.

As Mikey finally grew closer along with the rest of the group, we found an old lantern and some matches. Oh sweet! I really hope it works because I really don't want to stay in the dark for any longer, I thought to myself.

I could see a tall figure, which I could immediately tell was Brand, trying to light it.

"Does it work, guys?" Mikey asked as he looked between the lantern in Brand's hands and all of us.

'Don't worry about it", remarked Mouth with a small tone of irritation.

"Clarke, be nice! Mikey just wants to know if it works, which to be fair I think we all are hoping it does. The dark is only nice for so long. Am I right, everyone?"

I heard a combination of "yes", absolutely", and "please work" from everyone along with "alright, fine" by my brother.

"You know I love you, Mouth", I tried walking over towards him and despite his small protest, I brought him in for a hug which he returned.

"I love you too", he muttered softly so no one could hear. I crouched down afterwards and tried to look him in the eyes. "Listen, I know that things are tough right now for all of us but we will be okay, alright?"

"How do you know?"

"I just do alright? It is sister's intuition. I'm not going to let anything happen to you, regardless of how often you make me want to pull my hair out...which is a lot of the time", I say with a light chuckle causing Mouth to let out the breath he was holding and chuckle too.

"Likewise...but can I ask you one more thing?" Mouth questions with a small smile as he can faintly see his sister's face in the dark.

"Sure, anything!", I say as I start standing back up.

"I know that you are protective of me, and as much as I hate to admit that I appreciate it, can you try and bring the affection down a couple notches. It's embarrassing. You embody mom."

"Wow, welllll excuse me for trying to comfort you" as I put my hands up in a way of surrendering, mocking offense in the process. I could tell Mouth didn't know what to say so I just laughed. "I'm just kidding Mouth, I'll try to tone down mom mode in front of everyone."

"He let out a sigh of relief. "Oh great, thank y--"

"Ah, don't thank me yet..."

Mouth just retaliated with a loud groan.

"Hey, just because I said I would tone it down doesn't mean I am not going to watch over you. I'm your older sister which means I am in charge. If I think you need a comforting hug, then I'm going to give you one. I don't care if it is just you and I, or everyone. I'm always going to be here, whether you like it or not. ALSO, I am NOT mom...if anything I am a lot cooler than mom." I rant before giving him a huge squeeze and a ruffle with his hair.

"Alright, now I will stop", as I started to walk back towards everyone. As I was walking away, I heard him laugh before muttering "thanks Clar".

Right as I walked over toward the light, it turned on.

Everyone let out a delighted sigh of relief.

"It works!", shouts everyone.

With the lantern working, it illuminated something ahead of us.

"Pipes", I muttered to myself.

__

Author's Note ~

I'M BACK! Thank you all for being so incredibly patient and I hope that you are all doing wonderful!

As always, thank you all so much for your tremendous support. You are all SO AMAZING and I appreciate all of the love that you have brought to this book. So beyond thankful! Words can't truly describe it!

I hope that you all enjoyed this chapter! More coming very soon so please stay tuned!!

Please feel free to vote and leave any comments below. I truly love reading them :)

I hope you enjoyed this chapter and I love you all

               Xx Malyndah