1. Prologue

Astoria, Oregon: Fall 1985

Jailhouse- Inside

A jail guard unlocks a cell block to call the inmates out for their lunch. "Lunch time", he states. The inmates exit their cells and are murmuring amongst themselves.

"The longer you animals bark, the colder your lunch gets. Come on, move it out!", the guard shouts towards the inmates. He then looks towards the last occupied cell. "You too down there", he states as he walks down the cell block. "Hey turkey..." The guard walks down to an open cell where expected inmate has not emerged. He walks in and discovers that the inmate, Jake Fratelli's, has apparently hung himself.

The guard noticed that there is a note taped to his chest reading, "To whom it may concern". The guard removed it, turns it over and reads the back.

"You schmuck. Do you really think I'd be stupid enough to kill myself?" The guard repeats the last two words to himself in bewilderment. Kill myself?

Jake was alive. He opens his eyes, cocks his head and grins, assaulting the unsuspecting guard, knocking him out. Jake untangles himself from his makeshift gallows, removing a pipe assembly from his beltline which supported his weight.

Exterior Jailhouse

Francis Fratelli, Jake's brother, is pouring a ring of gasoline around the front entrance, while their mother, Mama Fratelli, waits anxiously behind the wheel of this ORV.

"Come on!", she shouts to Francis with her raspy voice.

Francis throws the empty gasoline can in the back of the ORV and then jumps into the passenger seat, loading a semi-automatic pistol. Jake hurries down the front steps of the jailhouse in his street clothes.

"Here he comes", shouts Mama Fratelli.

Mama starts the car as Jake runs over to the right rear door. It's locked.

"Francis, it's the lock", states Jake desperate to open the car door. "The lock, Francis, he states again towards his brother.

"I don't have the handle. Open the lock!", shouts Jake.

"Jake, up!" Mama F shouts as she gestures to the open sunroof.

"No", says Jake.

"Come on. Move...", Mama F shouts towards Jake.

"It's open," states Francis as he looks at his brother though the window.

Mama F looks over at both of her sons.

"Get down", she shouts towards Francis. She then looks over at her son, Jake.

"Come on!", she shouts towards Jake, knowing they wouldn't have much time and that they needed to hurry.

Jake climbs head first down through the sunroof.

Francis now reaches down through the open passenger side window and fires into the now gasoline-soaked pavement. A ring of fire flared up around the entrance, trapping the jail guards who has hastily emerged looking for Jake. Francis laughs victoriously. Mama Fratelli outs the car in gear and screeches away. A number of police cars quickly pursue them.

High School Field Football and Cheerleading Practice

A pretty brunette, about sixteen, loads a cassette tape into a player and starts it, while another pretty blonde, about sixteen, whose taller than the first one, is talking with the other teenage girls about different things, making the other girls smile or laugh. The first girl is Andrea Carmichael, known to all her friends as Andi. She is the cheerleading captain and is leading her team in practice. The second girl is Clarissa Devereaux, known to all her friends as Clary. She is the cheerleading co-captain, as well as Clarke Devereaux's older sister. She is currently talking to the team about different things while waiting for one of her best friends Andi to help lead practice.