Chapter 2

When I got to the table, I glanced around at all the important people in my life. The Lost Boys, mom, Coach, and Fala sat around the table drinking coffee and serving themselves food from what Stone had put on the table. Mika was of course in New York, but Zuur who usually came with Fala wasn't there either. I knew that Zuur was trying to train Fala in her duties as Seer because Zuur wanted to move on into the spirit world to be with her daughter and granddaughter Olathe, the granddaughter that Rose had murdered.

Rose, who I discovered was my biological mother had been jealous of Olathe and the affection Phoenix had shown her. Rose had tried to use Olathe as a sacrifice for her curse, but the curse had taken so much more. I hoped I still had a bit more time with Zuur before she moved on. She was the closest thing I had ever had to a grandmother, and probably the closest thing I ever would since my mom's parents had died when she was in high school and both Coach and Rose's families had died a long time ago since they had lived hundreds of years within the curse of Weverland.

I sat in between Coach and mom, the two tried to covertly pass looks over my head. They either thought I couldn't see or didn't care if I did.

"Good morning, I'm sorry if I worried anyone." I picked up my glass of orange juice and took a large swallow, my mouth suddenly parched.

"Stone told me you haven't been sleeping very well," Fala said after taking a sip of her coffee. Fala was a beautiful native woman. She was two spirited, meaning she had a feminine spirit and masculine spirit that shared space in her body. Some days she felt more feminine and some days more masculine. I had asked her if she wanted to use, they/their pronouns like some of the kids back at my old school had used. Fala told me she didn't care what pronoun I used as long as I accepted her for who she was, which of course I did.

Fala had long black hair that reached past her waist, it had tiny braids, feathers and seashells woven into some of the strands. Her lips were full and inviting and her nose a bit broader than most would call beautiful, but I thought she was one of the most beautiful people I had ever met. Her skin was a dark olive and clear of blemishes and her eyes were so dark they almost appeared black. Sometimes when she looked at me, I thought she could see my soul. Zuur, her grandmother had picked an amazing person to take her place in the Tribe.

I glanced at Stone, hiding my face under the curtain of my thick hair. I didn't know what to say, I'm sure they all the saw the bags under my eyes like the twins had discussed with Phoenix. So instead, I shrugged.

"Wren, why didn't you say something?" Coach asked, exhaling a long breath. "I can see that you don't want to live with me. I'm sorry I forced you."

I jerked my head over to him, my eyes narrowing, "that's not it at all. I don't know why I keep coming back here in my sleep. It takes me days to fall asleep but when I finally do, I wake up and I'm here."

"Little Bird, you look exhausted. We're just worried about you," Stone said from across the table. He put his hand on the table and I reached out, wanting to comfort him. I could feel Coach's body stiffen next to mine, but I couldn't not touch Stone when he was so sad.

"I don't think this is something you can control. I think that when you absorbed the magic, Phoenix's blood and energy comingled with your blood and energy. Just like your body needs to sleep and replenish, so does your magic. When you fall asleep so far from them, there is no way for your magic to replenish what it needs so it takes it from your body which then doesn't allow you to sleep."

"Well, if that's the case, why is she waking up with the twins, if it's just Phoenix's blood that bound her," mom asked Fala.

Fala looked confused, "I don't know. It should just be Phoenix."

The boys chucked softly, but Phoenix replied for them, "because we are bound. When the curse was first cast, we made a blood vow to stick together no matter what. All our families were lost to us, we knew we needed the support of each other to get by."

Fala nodded, "that makes sense. If you are bound to each other, and then Wren plugged herself into it. It would make sense that she could use any of the boys to replenish her magical energy."

"What does that mean? She can't live at home with me and her mom?" Coach asked. The thought of living with the boys, made my heartbeat faster and harder but at the same time it calmed something inside me. I wanted to get to know Coach better though, I had just found out he was my father and except for Gerald, I had never really had someone be my dad. Gerald most definitely did not count.

"It just means that she needs to be closer to the Lost Boys when she sleeps, she should probably alternate which boy she sleeps next to, if she takes too much from one, it might cause some issues. It would obviously be best if you slept near all of them so you wouldn't deplete their energy too much."

"Is it dangerous? Could I hurt them by taking too much? I feel kinda like a vampire," I voiced my concerns but what she said felt right. I needed them.

"I don't think it's dangerous, just as long as you alternate or sleep with all of them near you." Fala smiled and picked up her coffee cup.

I could see Coach wanted to argue, but he didn't know how. This was new to all of us. I didn't even know I was a witch, until Rose tried to kill me, to keep me away from Phoenix.

I saw Coach glance at mom and frown, his face was a picture of sadness. I was sitting so far forward in my chair, mom had room to reach behind me and lay an arm on Coach in concern.

"We actually have two spare bedrooms, plus the room that's already Wren's," Saint offered.

Phoenix nodded, "Your house wouldn't be big enough to include all of us, but we could all fit together nicely here."

I smiled shyly at Phoenix who returned my smile. I wanted to jump up and hug him, but I didn't want to add to Coach's anxiety. I knew having a premade teenaged daughter was stressful enough for him, having a teenaged daughter on the spectrum must have been even worse. I just wished I could be more normal, for all of them.

Coach looked towards mom, who nodded her acceptance. He spoke to the rest of us, "Anne and I will discuss this in private after breakfast."

A bright smile that hurt my cheeks painted my face and everyone started eating and chatting over the croissants, fruit, yogurt, coffee, and juice that was laid out on the massive dining room table. Everyone chatted and laughed and got along well, like a big happy family. I had never been so happy in my entire life.