Chapter 14

We spent the Saturday hanging out around the house, eating snacks that mom made for everyone, doing homework, reading, and relaxing. It was hard to relax though because tonight would be my first ever high school party. Not every girl gets to go to a party on a pirate ship!

When the doorbell rang, I sprung from the couch and ran to the door. Phoenix laughed at my antics. Coach who was sitting at the kitchen table going over some lesson plans gave me a look, "Wren please slow down."

I threw open the door to find Mika, Fala, Talon and Hawk. "Hi guys, come in!"

They each had several garment bags draped over their arms and Mika had her makeup kit in a teal and purple case with a handle that she clutched. "My mom said we could use the dining room to get ready in if you want to spread your stuff out in there. She also made sandwiches and there are chips, cookies, and slices of fruit."

The four newcomers just stared at me.

Fala spoke first, "Are you okay? You don't seem yourself."

"She's been like this all day, I think the excitement is just getting to her," Stone explained from the couch where he was playing some video game with Saint. They had tried to get me to play too but I couldn't sit still long enough to understand the game.

"Are you ready to see your costume?" Mika grinned.

"Yes!" I squealed.

Mika laid the costumes on the table and opened the first one, "this one is yours."

The outfit consisted of golden-yellow capris that were high waisted and would hit me mid-calf, a dark blue bustier top, a red cardigan, and red bow for my hair. The ensemble was finished with red and white polka dot boots.

"I wanted to get these killer heels that we're red and white polka dots, but Fala said you'd break your neck, so boots it is. Also, because it's finally starting to get cold, I figured this would keep you warmer than your typical Snow White dress," Mika explained her fashion choices.

"For the Lost Boys, you will each be one of the dwarves," she continued talking and handed out bags as she explained. "I'll be the evil queen and Fala will be the Huntsman."

"Aren't there seven dwarves, Mika?" Luck asked from his brother's side.

"Yup, and since it's a group costume, Talon and Hawk have volunteered to fill in on the two missing dwarves," Mika replied handing out the last two bags.

"Volunteered is such a strong word," Hawk griped as he took his garment bag to the bathroom to change into the costume.

"I heard that!" Mika called out to her bodyguard.

"I wasn't trying to be quiet!" Hawk yelled back from the bathroom.

My mom and I just stood watching the exchange. She laughed and went to refill the chips from the kitchen. I went and sat by Coach, while everyone else was out of the room getting changed.

"I know you don't want me to go, that you are worried, but I will be okay. I have all these wonderful friends who won't let anything happen to me," I put my hand on his arm.

He let out a breath of frustrated energy but closed his laptop and turned to me, "I know Wren. I'm scared for you. There is so much going on that we don't understand, with the Jabberwocky and Dahlia and Rose, not to mention all the normal stuff that every seventeen-year-old girl has to deal with. Your mom told me that before you came here you didn't really have friends or date or go to parties. I know I haven't been your dad for long, but I want to be, to both you and Lark. And part of being a dad is protecting you."