Chapter 20

When I opened my eyes, I knew that I wasn't awake. I was back in the large ballroom of my dreams, only this time I realized it was Wonderland Castle and the women who strolled around the room were in identical pairs. It hit me like a ton of bricks, these were the twins before Lark and me.

The pairs of women strolled around the room, eating, dancing, talking and just having fun. I began pushing my way to the center of the room. Rose was still there, in a red ball gown, her black hair floated around her.

I could see a set of twins not far from them, one twin wept for Rose and the other just looked bored. The bored twin saw me and sneered, she turned around and walked over to the table with food and started snacking, only taking small bites of food before throwing it on the floor where it promptly vanished.

The weeping twin, continued to cry, she barely noticed the people around her. I placed my hand on her shoulder to comfort her, but my hand went right through her.

"Hello?" I tried to speak but she didn't respond. "Hello?" I yelled this time but still nothing.

I went up to several of the other women and tried to get their attention, but either they couldn't hear me or refused to, either way I was getting no information from them. I walked back up to Rose and sat on the floor below her with my knees drawn up, studying her face.

I reached out with my magic, to try and connect with anyone but the only person who was giving off any notes was Rose, and hers were faint. What I did see was the black roots growing into her, but they grew so aggressively they were taking chunks out of her.

I figured talking to Rose wouldn't hurt anything, and I had nothing else to do since I had no way of leaving this place. "I met Lark," I spoke quietly so only she could hear me. "She's amazing. I wish I had gotten to know her growing up. Coach is doing good too, he and my mom are dating. It's a little weird."

I sighed wistfully. I wished she would speak to me. At first, I felt more then heard the slight tremble of her voice. I pushed in closer, putting my ear close to her mouth so that I could hear her whispers.

I could finally hear her sing in a voice that wasn't all together human:

"'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves

Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:

All mimsy were the borogoves,

And the mome raths outgrabe.

Beware the Jabberwock, my young!

The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun

The frumious Bandersnatch!"

She took her vorpal sword in hand;

Long time the manxome foe she sought—

So rested she by the Tumtum tree

And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uffish thought she stood,

The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,

Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,

And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through

The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!

She left it dead, and with its head

She went galumphing back.

"And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?

Come to my arms, my beamish joy!