Chapter 26

"Please Wren, just stay a few more days?" Lark pleaded with me. I hardened my heart to her requests. If I didn't, I'd never leave and do what I promised I would. Find Dahlia and stop the Jabberwocky.

"You know I have to go back. You will be fine without us for a few days."

I brushed a strand of my mom's hair off her head. Coach sat in a chair next to her bed lightly dozing. It had been a week since our confrontation with the Jabberwocky and my mom was still healing. The Healers were sure she would make a full recovery, but no one was tempting it since they had discovered that mom was pregnant with our little brother.

Mom's eyes fluttered open, "girls, what's wrong?"

"I need to go back to Weverland. I want to make sure that Fala and Mika are okay, and we still need to find Dahlia."

A stern voice spoke from the other side of mom's bed, "Absolutely not. I'm your father. I forbid it."

"Coach, I'm eighteen. You can't forbid it," I informed him. Mom and Lark chuckled; I didn't get the joke.

"Drake, can I have a few words with the girls?" Mom sat up in the bed and adjusted the blankets on her lap.

Coach sat back down.

"Alone?" Even though it was a question, she did her mom voice, so it was more of a statement.

He sighed but stood up and left the room.

I sat on the bed next to her and Lark stood near me.

"I want to go back. I need to go back." I implored them to understand.

"I understand. Your sister and Father are scared. I've gotten to have years with you, and it wasn't enough. They've only had a fraction of time."

"I'll be careful. My Lost Boys won't let anything happen to me, also I'll have Bandersnatch," I reasoned.

"What does a kitten have to do with it?" Mom's face was a mask of confusion.

"Bandersnatch isn't just a kitten. I don't really know what he is." My head turned to the side, and I tried to deduce from the clues I had what Bandersnatch was.

My sister answered my internal question, "he's your familiar." When both mom and I didn't respond she continued, "he used to be a demon, but to serve his Queen he took the form of the kitten to better guard and protect you. Familiars are incredibly rare. I haven't heard about them for at least a few hundred years."

"He's a demon?" Mom's voice rose an octave.

"As I explained to Wren, demons in Avalon are different then what you are used to. They are just a type of magical creature not an evil spirit or the devil like your religion would have you to believe."

"That's interesting," mom replied but I could tell she was more scared then interested. Her body started to droop and I could tell she was wearing herself out.

I leaned in and gave her a hug and a kiss on her cheek. "We'll be back in a few days, or as soon as I find Dahlia. We'll be careful. You need to get some more rest. I love you."

"I love you, too. Be careful," mom called out as I left the room.

"I can't stop you, can I?" Dad's head hung sadly.

"No, it's something I have to do. But like I told mom, I'll be careful."

"I just got you, Lark and your mom. I can't believe there's going to be another baby soon. Your little brother will need you. Please come back to us," Coach beseeched me.

"I will. I love you," before I could think twice, I wrapped my arms around my dad and hugged him. It was hard, but I needed it as much as he did.

"I love you, too," he said, his cheek pressed against the top of my head.