Chapter 5

Fala looked at the invitation and turned it over in her hands. "I've never seen anything like it. Tell me the story again," her face showed her confusion.

I sat on my bed against the headboard and told Fala the story from the beginning again. I also told her about filling out the RSVP card that was inside the envelope and how we had placed it in front of the mirror like the directions had prompted.

Seconds after we placed it in front of the cheval mirror, an unseen breeze swept it up and carried it to the surface of the mirror. The reflective glass liquified and wrapped around the card, absorbing the card and carrying it away. The Lost Boys, Coach, mom, and I sat dumb struck trying to understand how it happened. Without warning I jumped up and touched the mirror as the room erupted in yells of panic, but nothing happened. The mirror was solid.

Fala stared at the invitation like it would grow wings, but nothing changed. "Please have party standing in front of the mirror at 6:30 p.m. sharp. Formal masquerade attire required," she read for the 100th time.

"Fala the words aren't going to change just because you keep rereading it."

"I don't know if it's such a good idea to be leaving Weverland right now," Fala tried to reason with me.

"I've been going to all my training lessons and even you said I'm doing incredibly well with my magic. I need to find out who this girl is and how she's related to me. She clearly has more answers than I do."

Fala sighs again, "okay, I can understand that. Until the Masquerade we'll keep practicing your wards. Also, I'll call Mika"

"What? What does Mika have to do with this?" I questioned.

"The invitation says formal masquerade attire required. That means you and whomever else is going will needs a costume," Fala explained staring at the invitation again, like it could hold the mysteries of the universe if only she looked at it closely enough.

"Can't I just use my Halloween costume?" I shrugged; it wasn't that big of a deal. I wasn't one of those girls that needed to wear a new outfit every day.

"Those aren't formal. I think I have something. I'm sure Mika would love to make a new outfit from scratch but there's only a week to work on it and she will have to do the boys too, I assume."

I agreed, "also Coach and my mom."

"Are you sure I shouldn't go too?" Fala asked in a sad voice. I knew it wasn't because she was jealous, she wanted to go to protect me because that was the kind of person she was.

"You need to stay here and protect Weverland, it's our home."

Fala searched my face, "from what? Rose is catatonic. Not to mention she is far away and locked in an asylum."

"I don't know from what. I can feel that there is something out there that wants to hurt us, just like I can feel water on my skin when it rains," I whispered. I didn't want anyone else in the house to hear our conversation.

"You need to listen to that voice, it's another way your magic speaks to you," Fala spoke in her seer voice which was remarkably like a teacher's voice. "Can you describe what you're feeling?"

"It feels like a wonderful sunny day. It's not too hot but the sun warms your face. You are incredibly comfortable lying on a picnic blanket when there's a giant rain cloud that is spitting out lightning and thunder and golf ball sized pieces of hail."

Fala's face showed her worry, but she took a breath and let a mask cover the worry. We spent the rest of the afternoon working on our breathing exercises and when she left, she promised to call Mika and talk to her about the costumes.