Chapter 3

After breakfast we went back to Coach's house, and I excused myself to go read in my room while they talked. Living with Coach and my mom was amazing. Mom was happier, she finally had the family she had always wanted. Coach was nothing like Gerald, he didn't even own a television.

When we first moved in with him, I had been surprised by that. Gerald had spent all his free time in front of the tv watching sports. Coach was, well a coach, and he didn't even own a tv. When I asked him about it, he looked at me thoughtfully and explained. "Well Wren, when I became a teacher, they didn't have televisions. I'd rather play a sport or help others play a sport then watch it."

Mom had smiled the biggest smile I had ever seen and wandered off to find the kitchen. A kitchen, that was straight out of her dreams. Although Coach wasn't a big cook, when he had the house retrofitted, he had done the kitchen as well. Even though he had an amazing kitchen, he had eaten most of his meals at the cafeteria.

Mom, Coach and I had shared the small house for a few months. Coach and I went to school in the morning, and after school I would work on homework in the library, or with Fala on my powers in the courtyard, or just hung out with the boys at their place. In the evenings, I'd walk back to Coach's house and mom would have dinner ready. Coach, mom, and I would eat and talk. Sometimes we'd even play board games. Coach and I did dishes together, and I'd tell him about my day. He always listened and gave good advice.

Coach's house was kind of small, only 2 bedrooms. I slept in the spare room which my mom had helped me decorate with my stuff from my dorm room and my mom slept in Coach's room after Coach had offered to take the couch. Mom had tried to say that she would sleep on the couch, but Coach wouldn't let her. I loved the way he treated us, like we were the most important things in his life. It was so different then the way Gerald had acted towards both of us.

I heard a soft knock on my door.

"Come in," I called out. I had been laying on my stomach reading, I put a bookmark in my paperback from the library and looked up to find Coach and mom standing in my doorway. My mom's cheeks were slightly pink and Coach wouldn't even look me in the eye.

"Is everything okay?" I sat up on my bed and crossed my legs. I pulled my blanket toward me and rubbed the edge between my fingers for comfort. Coach's eyes narrowed in on the movement, but he didn't say anything. My mom just smiled, she knew how much the blanket comforted me, she had bought it for me when I first came to live with her and Gerald.

"Of course, Wren. We just wanted to talk before we made such a big move. You've had so many changes in your life, and we just want to do what's best for you," my mom spoke calmly and carefully sat on the bed next to me. She pulled one of my hands, the hand not on the blanket, into her own. Her touch, like the Lost Boys, didn't hurt. Other people who were close to me, could touch me but they had to be more careful about it.

I stared at my hands, tears started running down my face, "I really don't mean to sneak out. I've put stuff in front of the door, I've tried tying my wrist to the bed frame. Nothing works!"

"I'm sorry, Wren, I didn't realize it was so bad. Why didn't you say something to us?" Coach asked, he'd pulled out my desk chair and sat on it, his elbows on his knees and his fingers steepled in front of him.

"I didn't want to cause any problems, everything has been going so well," I told them, my nose already felt stuffy. What I didn't say was that I was already different enough, I was already weird.

"I know I'm new this parent thing, but I really am trying," Coach said. I looked up and he had a warm, but anxious smile on his face.

"You're doing a great job." I told him. It wasn't his fault I was a mutant.

"Alright, so Coach and I talked. We think it's in your best interest that we move over with the boys. At least until we figure all this magic stuff out."

I smiled at both brightly, "really? You don't mind?"

"We'd have some rules of course," Coach said sternly but I knew he was just doing it because he cared.

"I understand, I'm very good with rules."

"We need to discuss one other thing," Coach said. He still sat in my desk chair. I studied him carefully. He was running his hand through his dark hair and his cheeks were flushed pink. When I looked at Anne, her whole face was a bright lobster red, including her neck.

"Your mom and I have been spending a lot of time together, especially with both of us living here. I really like her, and I was wondering if it's okay with you, if I asked her on a date. I think that's what people call it now." Coach looked over to my mom for help and she smiled and nodded.

I smiled at the pair of them, "of course, whatever mom would like." I hadn't known that they were interested in each other, but facial expressions were hard for me. I was fine with it as long as Coach treated my mom with respect which I'd never seen him not do.

Mom laughed and pulled me into a big hug. Coach stood there looking awkward and Anne pulled him into our hug. I took a deep breath, pulling their combined scents in to my nose. They smelled good together. Mom spelled like apples and Coach had a spicy scent that wasn't overpowering, almost like cinnamon. Together, the just fit.

Coach pulled away first, "I'm so glad I found you both." He kissed each of us on our foreheads and then pulled Anne from the room.

"Alright, start packing but just the essentials. We'll pack up anything we need in my truck. The house is just down the street, so if we forget anything, we can just drop by." Coach pulled out a folded piece of notebook paper from his pocket. "Here is the list of the rules, that you need to follow."

I nodded and sunk onto my bed to read over it, while they left me to pack up their own stuff. There weren't that many rules, to be fair, and they were in my mom's delicate handwriting. 1. No sex. 2. Keep doors open when alone with any of the boys. 3. Clothing must be worn at all times (except privately in the bathroom.) 4. Wren must keep up her grades and get all homework done. 5. Wren will spend time with her family and friends outside of the boys. 6. Wren will continue to practice her magic with Zuur and Fala.

There were spaces for all of us to sign, Coach and mom had already signed. I put my signature, carefully writing my name, next to theirs and then went about packing up my room.