Chapter 21

Going through the mirror was easier now that I knew what to expect. Once we were in Avalon, the Royal Physician, a centaur named Healer Willoughby was there to meet us. He had a team of highly trained medical staff ready to assist him and he started calling out orders the second Dahlia and I were through.

"Aslan, Basil take the Princess to be treated. She's running a fever and is dehydrated. Oberon and Alisa, prepare Queen Dahlia's bed in the East Wing," Healer Willoughby ordered his staff who jumped to his attention.

"Careful, do not jostle the Queen," Healer Willoughby snapped at Oberon. Once Dahlia was on the stretcher, it was attached to the Healer's back.

Another stretcher was brought out for me, but when one of the healers tried to touch me, I curled into Stone.

Healer Willoughby came to my aid, "do not touch Princess Wren without permission. She is a Sensitive."

The healers looked shocked and then backed away from me. I curled into Stone more, trying to use his body to hide behind.

Another aide came forward, a young man with pale skin and even paler hair. His hair was so pale, it was white, but he had streaks of red throughout. When he spoke, I could see that he had fangs that he tried to cover, although not well, with his lips. He had piercing grey eyes, and lips that were ruby red, almost like what your lips look like after you have been sucking on a cherry lollipop. He was unbelievably tall at around 6'4 or 6'5 and very muscular.

With a slight lisp, he spoke to me, "your highness. You are unwell. Please allow us to treat you in your rooms."

His accent was like nothing I had ever heard before. His voice was calming, so calming that my legs started to wobble and gave out on me.

When I felt strong arms catch me, I looked behind me to find Gryphon. Gryphon looked worried so I smiled and said, "hi Gryphon."

I heard Stone start to growl, and Gryphon passed my weak body into his arms. I stroked Stone's cheek, "don't worry. I think you are way hotter."

I closed my eyes. I was just so tired. Stone's body was warm, safe, and strong.

"I shall treat her highness in her rooms," the man with white hair explained. I couldn't see him. I couldn't see anyone with my eyes closed so I reached out with my magic, but it was just blank.

"That's new," I mumbled into his chest. "You aren't like Saint, he's fuzzy."

I sent my magic out to examine the man speaking to us. My magic couldn't sense him, but it still flowed around him. When my magic did get near him, I could see the magic flow through his body like red wire or roots. The roots flowed through the body, but the roots made the shape of the man, not the man.

Caspian reminded me of a mannequin I had seen at my doctor's office when I was little. The 'skin' of the mannequin was clear so you could see all the parts inside. Except with Caspian, you removed all the stuff inside and just left the red roots.

"What do you see?" Saint questioned me.

"Red roots," I nuzzled Stone's throat. I was trying to get closer to his warmth.

Root man quietly chuckled, "my name is Caspian. What Princess Wren is seeing is that I'm a vampire."

My boys were in front of me before he could say another word.

"You have nothing to fear from me, I've been working at Wonderland Castle for over two hundred and fifty years. Although by my people's standards, I'm still an adolescent."

Oberon cleared his throat, and I could feel everyone relax and turn their heads to the healer. "Healer Willoughby would like the Princess brought to her rooms. She is to be given medicine for her fever and fluids for her dehydration. He has informed that he will check in with her once he has Queen Dahlia comfortable. If you could follow me to the Princess' suite."