Chapter 17

That night, after my shower and getting dressed in my bedroom alone I placed the stone against the mirror and said Lark's name, just like before she appeared in front of me with a smile on her face. She was already in bed, and Mercury sat behind her with no shirt.

"Greetings, titta seler," Mercury addressed me.

"Hi, Mercury!" I waved. "Hi, Lark!"

"Hi, Wren!" Lark got up and put on a robe. I saw that she was wearing a translucent nightgown that was extremely short.

"I'm sorry, were you about to go to sleep?" Maybe I hadn't called at a good time, "I can call back tomorrow if you are tired."

"Umm, no," Mercury stammered but then cleared his throat. "Actually, I need to go find Gryphon. Lark said she invited everyone to Wonderland Castle for Winter Solstice. Will you be joining us?"

"I hadn't actually brought it up with everyone yet, but I promise I will at breakfast tomorrow."

"Perfect," Mercury kissed Lark sweetly. I heard him say softly to her right before he left, "call us back when you are done, mime mel."

Lark nodded to Mercury, then turned back to me, "How was your day? Tell me about the party!"

I told her all about the party, the costumes, the bonfire, how I was drugged, what I learned about sex magic, how I could hear the music of Weverland, and how I had 'seen' the Jabberwocky and Dahlia but hadn't been able to find them.

"Do you think, I should use sex magic to find them?" I played with the edge of the rubby blanket that Mercury had given me.

"You could," Lark spoke slowly, "but is that something you are ready for? Aunt Dahlia wouldn't want you to give up something as important as your first time to find her."

The door to my room burst open, "absolutely not! Neither one of my daughters will be having sex until they are married."

"Hi, Dad," Lark smiled. I didn't know how she could bare it, my whole face felt like it was on fire and Lark just went on like normal.

"Did you ask her if she wants me to make her lunch tomorrow or if she wants to get lunch at the cafeteria," mom asked as walked into the room but upon feeling the tension she stopped. "What's going on in here? Oh, hi, Lark."

"Hi, Anne," Lark replied with a cheeky smile, "Dad here was just telling his eighteen-year-old daughters that they couldn't have sex until they were married."

There was a beat of silence then Lark and Anne burst out laughing. Coach and I just stood there looking back and forth between the two.

"What's funny?" Coach asked. To be fair, he really did look puzzled by the whole situation.

"Honey, it's the 21st century. You can't tell women what to do with their bodies," mom put her hand on his chest and Coach covered it with his own. His face softened when he looked at her.

"But they are my daughters. It's my job to protect them and make sure that no one steals their innocence. When I was younger, only women who didn't have a protector would give their bodies away to men who weren't there husbands."

"Well, that is not how it is now. Women can hold jobs, raise families, have multiple partners and still be who they want to be," Lark stood from her bed and crossed her arms over her chest.

"Alright, I concede that this time is different." Coach spoke slowly. It was almost like he was trying to understand the concept. "I'll try to be more understanding that you can make your own decisions. Is there someone you fancy?" Coach asked me.