61

It was Arthur and Fred. She went running outside without losing any time. She went rushing to him and wrapping her arms around his neck. She let go and looked at him up and down, looking for any injuries, blood, or bruises.

"Rena, I'm alright, don't worry," Fred said with one hand on her cheek, cleaning a tear with his thumb. "I- you weren't here, and I thought something horrible had happened. Fred, I was so afraid and seeing George-." "What happened to my son," Arthur asked. He didn't wait for Irena to answer and run inside the house.

Fred looked at Irena. It was rare to see Fred lost for words. "Is he," he could finish his sentence. He didn't want anything bad to happen to his twin brother. But if he was going to hear horrible news like that, he wanted them to be from Irena. "No! No he is alive but," she held his hand, and they both started walking inside the house.

Fred stood there, not knowing what to do. He let go of Irena's hand and walked to the back of the sofa, looking at George's wound, not believing what he was seeing. "How do you feel, Georgie?" whispered Mrs. Weasley. Georges fingers groped at the side of his head. "Saint like," he murmured. "Whats wrong with him?" croaked Fred, looking terrified: "Is his mind affected?" "Saint like," repeated George, opening his eyes and looking up at his brother. "You see . . . Im holy. Holey. Fred: get it?"

Mrs. Weasley sobbed harder than ever. Color flooded Freds pale face. A small smile started to appear on Irena's face. "Pathetic," he told George. "Pathetic! With the whole wide world of ear-related humor before you, you go for holey?" "Ah well," said George, grinning at his tear-soaked mother. "You will be able to tell us apart now, Mum."

Bill and Fleur weren't back; they waited for a few minutes, which felt like years. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley came back into the Burrow. "Whats wrong?" said Fred, scanning their faces as they entered. "What happened? Whos—?" "Mad-Eye," said Mr. Weasley. "Dead." The three of them were in shock. Nobody knew what to do.

Bill walked over to the sideboard and pulled out a bottle of firewhisky and some glasses. "Here," he said, and with a wave of his wand, he sent the glasses through the room to each of them. "Mad-Eye," "Mad-Eye," they all said, and drank.

Lupin and Bill left to try to find Mad-Eye's body. It was silent, "Ive got to go," said Harry. Everyone looked at him. "Dont be silly, Harry," said Mrs. Weasley, "What are you talking about?"

"I cant stay here." "Youre all in danger while Im here. I dont want—." "But dont be so silly!" said Mrs. Weasley. "The whole point of tonight was to get you here safely, and thank goodness it worked. And Fleurs agreed to get married here rather than in France, and weve arranged everything so that we can all stay together and look after you—." "Its not me Im worried about!" said Harry.

"We know that," said Mr. Weasley quietly. "But it would make our efforts tonight seem rather pointless if you left." "Yeah, what about my bleeding ear?" said George, hoisting himself upon his cushions.

Alek started to cry, and Irena got up and walked to the kitchen. Fred was walking behind her. "Everything is alright. Look, dad is here," Irena said with a smile. Fred carried him, and Alek stopped crying. Fred kissed Irena's forehead. The three of them were together again; they were safe for now.