56

Fred woke up one morning sick. He was coughing and didn't feel well.

"I think I'm dying, Rena," Fred told Irena weakly, who was sitting next to him. She looked at him and placed her hand on his forehead. Freds forehead was hot, and the tip of his nose was pink.

"You are not dying; you are only sick," she said with a small smile.

George had left to the shop while Fred had stayed at the flat he was in no condition to work. Irena and Alek had also stayed.

The way that Fred was acting, Irena felt like she was taking care of two children.

Irena had made soup for Fred, hoping that would help him. She filled one bowl with soup and a smaller one for Alek. She brought the bowls to their room, where Fred was.

She set the bowls by the nightstand that was next to their bed.

"I'll be right back," she told Fred, and he gave her a weak smile.

She went to Aleks room to get him; he was six months old.

He was able to sit on his own, and he was barely moving, wanting to crawl. Alek was in the middle of his room, surrounded by different toys.

He had a bright toothless smile when he saw his mother come into his room. He started to move his hands in front of him, wanting Irena to carry him.

Irena picked him up and smiled at him "are you hungry," she asked Alek; he only smiled at her.

"Alright, let's go and check on your father," she said, walking to their room.

Fred was still in bed with his eyes closed. "I made soup," Irena said. She took a seat on the bed next to bed and placed Alek in front of her, his back on her chest.

She got the bowl of soup from the nightstand.

"I don't want it," Fred said, moving his head to the other side.

"Come on, Fred, stop acting like a child. You need to eat it will make you feel better."

Fred still didn't look at her. Alek moved his arms up wanting to hold the spoon. Irena got Aleks bowl and started feeding him. She didn't want them to eat from the same bowl, not wanting Alek to get sick.

Happily, Alek started to eat; he was just starting to eat more food than just milk.

Alek got the spoon with his own hand and started to feed himself. He missed quite a few times the spoon not fully getting to his mouth. Or he would drop the food back in the bowl and still bring the food to his mouth empty. He was happy that he could do it by himself even though he wasn't eating much.

Irena smiled, seeing her son try new things on his own; time was going by so fast. "See Fred, Alek is enjoying the soup."

Hearing this, Fred slowly turned around, facing Irena and his child. Alek was smiling at his father, his mouth wet from the soup.

Fred stretched his hand, and Irena handed him his bowl.

He sat up straight and looked at the soup. He slowly brought the spoon to his mouth and started eating. Fred smiled, closing his eyes; the soup was great. He looked at her "it's delicious, Rena, thank you," Fred said with a small smile.

She smiled back at him, and with a napkin, cleaned his running boogers that were coming out of his nose. He looked down at his nose "thank you, Rena, you are the best," Fred said, sounding weird with a stuffy nose.

He leaned in to kiss her, but Irena moved, making Fred's lips crash into her cheek. "I don't want to get sick. No kisses until you get better," she said, pointing her index finger at him. "What," Fred said, not believing what Irena just said to him.

"I said I dont-," she repeated a bit louder, thinking Fred couldn't hear her because he was sick.

"I know what you said. I can hear you perfectly, but I don't understand why," he said with a sad smile.

"You are still sick, and if I get sick, who is going to take care of me and Alek?" "I'll take care of you two," Fred said, bringing his arm to clean his nose.

Fred looked at her and leaned in again, trying to kiss her on the lips. She placed one finger on his lips, stopping him.

She looked at him and kissed him on the top of his forehead. "I love you, Frederick, but no kisses until you get better."

"But I am better," he said, and a second later, he sneezed twice.

"That was not me."