Chapter 21

Chapter 21

------------------------------------------

Derek's POV

------------------------------------------

I had been following Jesse's scent through the woods for two days. The only time I would stop was when I was hungry and needed to hunt or when I was tired and needed a nap, that was currently what I was doing; trying to sleep. I had propped myself up against the tree trunk, about to let sleep overtake me when I heard the rustling of the leaves that covered the ground. I stilled on the tree I was leaning on and tried to steady my heartbeat so it matched the heartbeats of the animals near me. I strained my ears as I listened to the rustling, it was still heading this way.

I slowly got up, trying to make as less noise as possible, and shifted into my werewolf. I got into a fighting stance as I waited for whatever it was to come into eyeshot, but was surprised when my uncle Peter showed up. My shoulders slumped in dis alarm and I shifted back to human form.

"How did you find me?" I questioned him.

Peter raised an eyebrow at me. "Really? No hey uncle Peter, just right down to business?" He wiggled his head from side to side. "Ok, I can deal with that." Then he started walking up to me and wrapped me in a hug. "Happy Birthday, Nephew!" He exclaimed merrily.

"What?!" I yelled, pushing myself away from him.

"Not the reaction I was expecting. Did I do something wrong?" Peter said, putting his fingers under his chin like he was thinking.

"No! It can't be! It wasn't supposed to be this way!" (We were meant to feel the pain! Get it? I am machine by three days grace? No? Alright then.)

"What are you talking about? Your sixteen now, be happy." Peter said.

"No! If it's my birthday then it's Jesse's too! We were born at the same time!" I continued to yell. "That means that she will figure out who she's bonded to!"

"Why are you freaking out? Are you afraid it's not going to be you?"

He hit the head on the nail. I was afraid it wouldn't be me. I was afraid that Jesse would have to put her life on the line for someone else, someone that would use her like a pawn, like she didn't mean anything, like she wasn't a life to be valued. People nowadays were cruel. They have no respect for life or each other and they go off doing stupid shit with that phrase 'you only live once' stuck in they're head.

"Yes." I whispered, feeling like I was about to throw up. "I am afraid." I started swaying from side to side, trying to keep my balance but failing and falling to the forest floor.

"Derek!" I faintly heard my uncle Peter yell. I felt my body slowly shutting itself down and finally I blacked out.

------------------------------------------

Jesse's POV

------------------------------------------

"Is the spell really that strong!" I exclaimed as me and Felix struggled to get our head back up.

"Yes! Now keep trying, you weakling!" He yelled back at me.

"Well if I'm so weak, why are you asking me to keep trying, oh powerful one!"

He scoffed in annoyance. "You might as well help if you're going to be stuck in my body!"

"YOUR BODY!! Excuse you! This is my body!"

"This is my vessel!"

"So, it's still my body!"

"Shut up"