Chapter 9

Derek's POV!

I glanced down at Jesse as I ran through the woods in the direction of her house. She had passed out again and was looking extremely pale. She must of lost a lot of blood.

Bursting through the tree line, I took an immediate left, running as fast as my legs would allow me to. I have to get her home. I have to get her to her mother. I kept repeating these sentences in my head. I glanced down at her a second time. She looked dead! Her eyes rimmed red, her skin almost as white as snow. I listened in for a heart beat. Thump......... thump. I listened as her heart was bearly beating, almost inaudible. I increased my pace, using my inner wolf as my source of speed.

Her heart beat was getting slower and slower. It was to the point where it was doing one beat per three seconds. "Shit! No No!!" I yelled, knowing Jesse couldn't hold on for much longer. I ran even faster, using more of my wolf speed. My eyes started glowing they're electric blue color. I knew they were glowing cause I was now seeing everything in shades of red.

I spotted her house a little ways down the street. I let hope that I might get there in time, fill me. "Hold on just a little longer Jesse! We're almost there!" I shouted to her. All I got in reply was her silence.

I flew up the stairs and onto her porch before banging on the door with one arm, the other cradling Jesse to my chest. "MARIA!!!" I shouted Jesse's mother's name. "MARIA!!!" I continued to shout while continuously banging on the door. No matter how hard I banged on the door or how loud I shouted, nobody answered.

I stopped banging on the door and seized my shouting for someone who was obviously not home. I looked down at Jesse and cradled her with both my arms, pulling her tighter into my chest. I can't hear her heart beat anymore! I stuck my ear to her chest, confirming my fears. Her heart wasn't beating and her chest wasn't rising and falling in time with her breathing. "Jesse!! Jesse!! No No please no!!!" I cried out.

Feeling my resolve crumble and desperation and panic start to take over I acted on impulse. I transformed into my werewolf and took a couple of steps back. I turned to my side and flexed my shoulder and arm before running forward and ramming my shoulder into the door. The door flew off its hinges and hit the wall opposite it. I didn't waste any time and ran in to the house.

I sprinted to the living room where I gently laid Jesse on the couch. I pulled my jacket off her and ripped her shirt open so there wasn't anything that could hinder her breathing. "Ok, how do I do this?" I thought to myself. I started thinking about the health class that we were required to take at school. I took it last year and I didn't really pay attention in that class, but I remember when we had to do CPR. I didn't, of course, but I watched as everyone else practiced on dummies. I remember laughing at them; thinking that it was a waste of time and that it was hilarious watching them basically make out with dummies. Guess it's not so funny now.

I picked Jesse up off the couch and laid her out on the floor to give me a steadier place to work with. I took deep breathes to calm myself some and started mimicking what I watched the kids in my health class do. I hovered over her and took more deep breathes. I lifted Jesse's chin up and stuck my hands where I supposed they were suppose to be and pumped them a couple times. I then sucked in a breath of air and opened Jesse's mouth a little before putting my mouth to hers and blowing the air in. She didn't move. My panic was rising again.

"Come on Jesse!" I whispered harshly, while I was pumping my hands against her chest area. (authors note: I guess. the only thing I know about CPR is what I've seen in movies and I think you pump the chest area? I don't really know. oh well.) I sucked in another breath of air and put my mouth to hers before releasing it. Still nothing.

"Please Jesse. Please please please." I whispered. I felt tears prickling the corners of my eyes as I once again started pumping her chest. I sucked in another breath of air and stuck my mouth to hers; only this time when I released the air I felt a faint pressure on my chest.