Tell George I'll see him soon

Chapter 36

"Clay? You're at school?" George asked, not thinking too deeply about his question as the dirty blonde boy ran over. Clay sighed in relief when he saw George. He was so wrapped up in his own thoughts this morning that he completely forgot about his vow to keep him safe.

"Yeah. I know I was a bit late but I'm here now." He said, assuming George was just surprised to have not seen him yet today. George was more confused on why Clay was at school. He had told him to skip after the meeting with the Mayor.

"What happened to your face?" George asked again, his eyes trained on the bruised eye and bandaged cheek.

"I fell down some stairs. It's no biggy." Clay said nonchalantly. He seemed to be getting better at lying as the day progressed.

"Right. Well. Anyways, I would say avoid Nick for the day, but we have bio with him." George said, as the two of them walked towards their next class.

"Why avoid Nick?" Clay laughed.

"He's had a brilliant idea to go to a theme park this weekend. He's in the process of convincing everyone to go." George sighed. He had been sent multiple messages about it.

"I think it could be fun." Clay said. "Assuming i'm invited..."

"Obviously you're invited. But I don't know if I'm going to go, I don't think I'll enjoy it. There's a reason it was closed for a year. Imagine a villain attacks while people are on rides."

"It's not even in the city." Clay pointed out.

"It's close enough. Or what if there's an attack at the city and we aren't here." George said.

"Well, then that's safer, right?" Clay said

"It will kill me not knowing if my family is safe. While I'm just having the time of my life." George said with a sigh. Clay nodded.

"It would only be a day." He said, as they arrived at the classroom. Nick was sitting down already, grinning at the two of them.

"Where the hell have you both been?" He asked as they sat down. "Neither of you were here this morning or at recess."

"I had a meeting with my father, which ended early though." Clay started saying. Nick looked at George.

It looked suspicious that he was gone the same time as the meeting with the superheroes. He needed a plausible excuse.

"I had an appointment. With Dr Puffy." George decided to say.

Clay's eyebrows furrowed.

"What... what time?" Clay asked slowly.

"Um. I just finished. I was there for an hour. Before that, I was slightly late to school because my and my sister both slept in." George lied while pulling out his laptop.

Clay stared at George. If he didn't know better, he would assume George was telling the truth. He said all of it very nonchalantly with no hints of lying. He couldn't find what his tell was. But he knew it was a lie, because Clay was with Puffy when he got back to school.

George was a good liar.

"How was it?" Clay asked casually.

"It was good. Just talked about my attendance, as usual." George said with a chuckle. Clay wanted to laugh at the irony.

Where was George? What was he doing?

"Anyways. Saturday the gang is going to the theme park. And both of you are coming." Nick said. George frowned.