Rooftop chats

TW// domestic abuse

Chapter 44

Clay felt sick to his stomach. The hand digging into his shoulder was not helping with his nerves.

"As I have heard, the man trying to rival my place as Mayor has accused me of being illegitimate." The Mayor said into the many cameras. They were standing just outside the mansion, Clay, his Dad, and his sister. All being interviewed.

Clay didn't want to be here. But he was forced to.

He needed to be with George, watching him. But no, he was here.

"These kinds of accusations without proof are disgusting. They are also lies. It is upsetting for myself and my children. Both of my kids." He grips their shoulders tighter. "Have to go to school every day, and hear the taunts from other students regarding their father. These accusations are lies, and it is a disgusting tactic for a politician. Dragging not only my name through the mud, but my children." The Mayor said.

Clay stayed staring at his feet.

"If the new candidate for Mayor would like to have a word with me in private, without dragging the whole city into some petty drama, then he can." Mayor Block continued.

"Your children are suffering the repercussions for the accusations? In what ways?" A reporter asked.

The Mayor shook Clay's shoulder, making him look up.

"Would you like to say anything about it Clay?" His father asked him. The cameras turned to focus on him, microphones titled towards his face.

"What?" He said softly, face paling slightly.

"Tell everyone what these false accusations have caused you." The Mayor said.

If possible, his grip grew tighter.

"I- uh-" Clay looked at the reporters, a swimming pool of unfamiliar faces and intense expressions.

"It's ok, son. You can tell them." His Mayor coaxed him.

Clay winced slightly. He wouldn't be surprised if there was blood on his shoulder after this.

"I mean... it hasn't been that bad." He said softly, looking at his father, who's face switched to furious for a second before back to a more calm one for the cameras.

"Really? That's not what we were discussing last night." His dad said, voice stern and his teeth clenched. Clay felt his eyes water slightly from the hard grip on his shoulder. It was for sure bruised.

"Tell them. Clay." David Block said.

"The Mayor is putting words in our mouths. We never said we were being targeted at school. It's embarrassing, yes, but we are fine." Drista said out of the blue.

Clay snapped his neck towards her, the cameras following a similar action.

Clay's eyes were wide. His father's glare had a new target. But the grip on his shoulder only grew, and by the way he saw Drista's hand bunch into a fist, he knew it had on her too.

"Embarrassing, you said Miss Block?" A reporter said.

"Y-yes. The fact that we are associated with the accusations. B-but no one is actually being cruel about it." She said, voice strained.

The Mayor forcefully dragged the two of them back, spinning them around and pushing them to Tracy who was standing behind, out of view of the cameras.

"Take them inside." He muttered, finally letting go.

Clay unclenched his jaw when the contact left, but Drista was less subtle, and she rubbed her shoulder.