Doomsday Part One

Chapter 56

Boom.

George flinched.

Crash.

He closed his eyes.

A scream.

He sat down, head in his hands. It was too much. There was too much going on, he couldn't do any of it.

There was a comforting hand on his shoulder, and he looked up at Dream.

"You need a minute?" He asked.

"We don't have a minute." George responded, an explosion from the other side of the city reaching their eardrums. "It never ends! We've stopped dozens of fights and people and a few villains already. But it just keeps going. Blade hasn't shown for half an hour and the city is destroying itself." George said, putting his head back in his hands.

"It will end eventually. Blade will show soon, he just wants a bit more chaos." Dream said patiently.

"We can't wait forever. People could be dying, Dream. People are getting hurt. And I can't help them all." George looked across the city. They knew this was going to happen. They knew what was coming.

Why did they do nothing to prevent it.

"We are trying our best." Dream said calmly.

"Our best isn't enough."

George felt his phone buzz, and gestured for Dream to look away as he pulled it out. It was more messages from Drista, saying Clay called her earlier and said he was hiding somewhere earlier, but he hasn't messaged her since then, or arrived at Phil's, and she was getting more worried.

George just reassured her that Clay must be fine. And he tried to believe it himself. If anything happened to Clay, it would be his fault. He was the one who left him in an alleyway. Alone. Again.

"Why do I have to turn around?" Dream asked, scratching his sword along the ground.

"Because you can't see my phone or who I'm talking to. You don't know my identity." George responded, quickly typing a few messages to Clay, before switching off his phone and pocketing it in the suit again.

"Right." Dream responded, jaw tense.

"Have you messaged your family at all? Reassured them you're ok?" George said, turning to look at his partner.

"I did once. But my phone died so I can't anymore." Dream sighed.

"Hey, uh. Guys..." Sapnap's voice came through their earpieces.

"You good, Sapnap?" Dream asked.

"No. I can't feel my legs, and the villain has a fucking bow-" He cut himself off with a yell.

"Can't feel your legs?" George stood up.

"Paralysis. I can feel it creeping up my spine. I'm crawling away at the moment but I..." Sapnap groaned. "I got shot in the ass. I mean, it doesn't hurt at least because of the paralysis, but if my entire body goes completely numb then I can't defend this villain from taking my bracelet."

"You got hit in the-" Dream let out a wheeze, doubling over and holding his own stomach. "The ASS."

"It's not funny, Dream. He could lose his Diamond. Sapnap, where are you?" George said, shooting Dream a glare, who was holding onto his knees for support as he continued to laugh.

"Near the theatre."

Once Dream calmed down slightly, they both started making their way to the only movie theatre in the city, running through the streets where cars had been abandoned, houses broken into, trash everywhere and a concerning amount of smoke.