I let you down

Chapter 49

TW// graphic death threat, homophobic slurs, homophobia

Clay sat outside the school on a bench with his backpack beside him and head in his hands. He heard the bell ring for the start of class but he couldn't bring himself to get up.

He didn't want to see George yet.

Thank god there was no alert, Clay would not have been in the best mindset for fighting a villain.

He still didn't have his phone, it had been confiscated by the Mayor the other day because he went shopping with George, Nick and Lorna. So he couldn't call or text George last night after prom.

So he went to visit him, to guard him as Dream, but George wasn't home last night either. It was mildly terrifying. And he was slightly hurt that George didn't even want to talk to Dream. Maybe it was for the best.

"Clay." He heard someone call his name, and he suppressed a groan to look up. Xavier was walking towards him with knitted eyebrows in confusion but a small smile on his face.

"Hi." Clay said, also confused why the blonde was approaching him. Xavier stood in front of him, looking down at Clay who looked a little bit of a mess. His hood from his hoodie was over his messy hair, he had darker eye bags under his eyes and his leg was bouncing like crazy.

"How was prom with George? I didn't get to talk with you both, but I saw you on the dance floor. You seemed really close." Xavier asked.

Clay let his chin fall onto his hand resting on his non-bouncing knee.

Xavier's eyebrows furrowed at Clay's response, and he sat down beside him.

"You alright?"

"I tried to kiss George." Clay said.

Xavier's eyebrows shot to the sky and his jaw dropped. He was about to say something, but the fact that Clay said tried made him hesitate.

"Did it go badly?" He asked in confusion.

"You could say that." Clay scoffed. "He didn't kiss me and he left."

"Why would he do that?" Xavier muttered. George liked Clay. He was the boy he liked over Xavier.

"He likes someone else." Clay sighed. "And also, the past few months I've been telling him that I like someone else. A girl. And um, when I was about to kiss him, he brought it up."

Xavier winced.

"I'm an awful person." Clay shook his head. He didn't want to cry again. At how awful he was, how stupid he is. He might have lost George. "I like them both." He whispered.

"Who is the other person you like?" Xavier asked. Clay swallowed.

"I don't want to say. Um. She... goes to another school anyways." He shrugged.

"So you like boys and girls?" Xavier asked with a small smile. Clay nodded. Even though the other person he liked was GNotFound, it wasn't necessary to change his lie.

"Yeah. I'm bi."

Xavier patted him on the shoulder.

"I'm guessing you haven't told many people. So I feel like I need to tell you that you're valid, Clay. And accepted by so many even if they don't know yet." He said. Clay sent him a small smile.

"Thanks." He then cleared his throat. "But yeah, so I fucked things up with George. He hates me now. And the other person doesn't like me either and I don't know what to do."

"Why do you like them both?" Xavier asked.

"I don't know. They are both different but at the same time... so so similar. Like sometimes I think they are the same person." He paused.