The world is falling apart

Chapter 51

The world is falling apart.

Still breaking and collapsing and tearing itself apart. But it was tuned out for the moment. It was quiet, the blue shield protecting them from not only the wreckage but also the noise of everything falling apart.

It was just the two of them. Clay and George, in their bubble.

Well. Clay and GNotFound.

George's heart was louder and faster than it had ever been. He didn't dare move, as if maybe what he just did went unnoticed. It didn't really happen. He wasn't really here. Clay wasn't really here.

But the racing heart beneath him told otherwise.

George swallowed and lifted himself up, hands pressing against the floor, so his torso was now hovering.

He took a deep breath and looked down at Clay.

The green eyes reflected back, staring straight into the goggles, straight into his own eyes as if Clay could actually see them.

As if Clay was seeing his eyes for the first time.

They were silent for too many seconds. Too many wasted seconds.

"...George?" Clay finally whispered, his voice breaking as he stared into the goggles of GNotFound.

George didn't respond. He was too in shock, too terrified, too panicked.

Clay reached a hand up, thumb brushing just beneath the edge of the goggles, on George's cheek. His hand was shaky, and his eyes were glistening.

The next second, Clay embraced him completely, wrapping his arms tightly around George's neck and pulled him close. Clay buried his face against George's chest, and clutched him so tight, as if he feared he would disappear. George didn't hug back, his hands were frozen by Clay's sides, heart pounding as the boy embraced him.

"It's you." Clay said, voice as shaky as his hands.

George finally snapped back into action, remembering everything that was going on. He was GNotFound. He had a job to do.

He pulled away from Clay, which was difficult because the dirty blonde did not want to let go. But George kneeled beside him, quickly looking away and at the trapped leg, pulling the rubble off. Clay was gripping his arm tightly, but he tried to ignore it.

Clay's pants were torn, and there was a bit of blood, but George couldn't tell if it was broken. He didn't look at Clay as he picked the boy up.

He didn't want to look at him. Didn't want to think about what he had done.

What he had ruined.

The shield flickered, and he quickly ran through the debris that had enclosed their bubble.

The shield disappeared the second they got out, but the building was still falling. Clay covered his face and pressed it against George's chest to protect his eyes. It took them both back to the ceremony when George saved him from the falling building and fire.

George ran off the rink, having to jump over piles of brick, and he ran to the back of building. He kicked the crumbling brick wall harshly with his foot, and created a hole big enough for them both to fit through.

When he climbed through the wall, he was now behind the building, in a small alleyway tucked between this building and the next.

He carefully placed Clay on the ground, beside a dumpster and against the brick wall, and he gently started looking and touching his leg to see how injured it was.