Broadcasting live

Chapter 53

TW// guns

"George!"

A yell from down the hall, making George and Clay both turn. Nick came running over, and immediately engulfed George in a hug. George stiffened the second they came in contact.

"Where the hell have you been and why didn't you respond to anyone?" Nick pulled back and punched George lightly on the shoulder, then turned to Clay and punched him too. "And you! You didn't text me that he was back when you said you would."

"Sorry, I forgot." Clay winced. Nick turned back to George, who was staring at the ground.

"So? Where were you?" Nick asked.

"Hiding out." Clay answered for him.

"Why for that long?"

"Paranoid." Clay said, patting George on the shoulder, who shrugged him off and turned back to his locker.

"Did you guys see the news?" Nick then said solemnly. Clay nodded.

"Yeah. It's concerning." He said.

"The city is split in two. Half the people think the heroes should just give the Blade what he wants, the jewels. The other half stand by the heroes." Nick was watching Clay carefully.

"Really?" Clay said, eyebrows furrowing. He wasn't sure which way he assumed people would lean towards.

"What do you think?" Nick asked, tilting his head to the side, eyes flickering down to Clay's hand for a split second

"Definitely in support. The heroes can't just give up. The Blade wants those jewels for a bad reason." Clay said, and Nick nodded. "You agree with me?"

"Obviously. It's good versus evil. I support Dream all the way." He said.

Clay's smile fell at that, and he noticed George tense up.

"And... GNotFound, right?" Clay said, glancing at George who was just staring into his locker, not moving.

"I don't know." Nick shrugged. "The guy's messed up the past few fights."

"He saved my life." Clay said. "Multiple times." He added.

"Well I think there's something off about him recently. But it doesn't matter. Because I support Dream." Nick said, smiling at Clay.

Clay just stared back.

George closed his locker, and zipped up his bag.

"What about you George? I know your situation is quite different, since your life is being targeted by the villains for... what was it for again?" Nick questioned.

George didn't answer.

"For apparently knowing Dream's identity... right?" Nick said, watching George closely. George shrugged. "So do you support the heroes? Or think they should give up their jewels?"

George cleared his throat, and looked down the hall.

"Honestly, I'm not sure." He said softly.

Clay pursed his lips, seeing George rocking on his heels and fiddling with his bag straps. He didn't really think that, surely. George was a hero. There's no way he isn't sure about fighting the Blade.

"The hell you mean you're not sure?" Nick said, eyes wide. "You think the heroes should just give up?"

"No, I just..." George sighed. "I think maybe if people are going to die, and giving up the jewels is the only way to stop it, then maybe-"