CHAPTER - 12 - CANTEEN TABLE

Wangji sat down opposite Wuxian after ordering two black coffee at the counter. The canteen was otherwise completely empty. The clock was ticking towards 6pm. Loud noises could be heard from the direction where the sports clubs were indicating that, some sort of competition was going on and naturally the whole campus was gathered there.

Both sat quietly for some moment figuring out how to start. The chirping sound of the bell interrupted the silence and this time Wuxian got up to get the coffee. Sitting down Wuxian decided to start the conversation for the second time. Taking a sip he looked at Wangji who also took a sip,

"So, you thought a Thank You note will be enough to describe your sudden flight from my home? No explanation what-so-ever was not needed at all? Hah??"

"It was a mistake, I admit. But I did not think anything else needed any explanation."

"So you think you did nothing wrong? Professor Lan?"

Wuxians voice was rising at this point. He just could not get his head around the fact that the younger still was so calm and did not have an ounce of guilt in him.

"I never said that I did nothing wrong, Professor Wei. I should've told you that I was going to leave the night before. But the fact was that even I was not sure if the weather will be suitable for me to leave. I admit I should've told you that I will leave early if the weather permits. And I did not. I'm sorry."

It will be a lie if Wuxian said that he was not surprised to hear Wangji apologizing and saying sorry. But it was not enough to soothe him.

"And? Could you not just wake me up and tell me that you're leaving instead of just leaving a note?"

"I thought that it will be inconvenient for both of us."

"You just decided that all by yourself? HUH? No need to consider how I'll feel finding the room empty?"

"I think I explained everything in that note."

"Ohh... Really now? And what about the tension I felt before I found that? What about that?"

"I'm a grown-up man Professor Wei. No need to panic if you don't find me the second you open the door."

Wangji now replied with a little irritation which was clear on his face. He just could not understand why would this co-worker of him fuss over his absence like that. But this little irritative note of Wangji broke the little bit of restrain Wuxian was trying to keep with all his might.

"Are you seriously telling me not to worry about you? And that too after seeing you in that condition during the very first night you stayed at my place?... Answer Me."

Wuxians temper was rising with every word he spoke.

"It was an accident Professor Wei. Dont overthink it."

"ANOTHER ACCIDENT WITHOUT ANY EXPLANATION IS IT? IS THIS HOW YOU ARE? INDECISIVE AND COWARD? NEVER TELLING ANYONE ANYTHING? MAKING OTHERS SUFFER WITH YOU?"

Wuxian was literally shouting at this point. And in the heat of the moment both stood up from their seats. Wangji was not going to take this blow calmly as well. The mention of that night already triggered him and the accusations just pushed him more.

"EVERYONE HAS SOME STUFFS THEY HIDE AND SECRETS THEY TAKE INTO THE GRAVE. DON'T GO ON SHOUTING ON PEOPLE IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANY IDEA ABOUT THE BACK STORY."

Wangji was also triggered enough to lash out at this point.

For a moment both became silent and stared at each other. Both were astonished by their own and the others raised voice. The moment stretched out to a minute. They both sat down quietly, both disgruntled with how the conversation went, dissatisfied with the answers they got and with no idea what to do with the questions they gathered.

"So, this is where you two are, quite an unusual place to find you I must say."

The Principal of their college walked in the canteen at that exact moment and stopped suddenly sensing the tensed and awkward atmosphere between the two.

"Eh... Are you two free? I had to tell you something. I was actually hoping to find you in the library and went there first but the librarian said that you two had already left. I came here to get a strong coffee for myself before clocking off for today. So will it be all right with you both to hear me out today or you can just seat down tomorrow..."

Mr. Parkinson ended his statement leaving the end hanging loose in the air for the two to answer.

Wangji and Wuxian already stood up noticing the Principal, they offered him a chair at their table and said that it will be fine to talk.

"So shall we order three coffee cause these two look like they got cold ages ago."

They both glanced at the totally ignored coffee cups and Wangji proceeded to order.