Chapter - 17

Slowly the time went by and it was the day of the performance. The two mentors continued as if nothing was wrong but to Wuxian the comfort zone that the two had created during that weekend or even the platonic library companionship during the late library hours was somehow lost and was never found during these two months. But on the other hand Wangji finally found someone around whom he could be comfortable and with whom he shared the kind of communication where he did not have to say out every single thing. And just like that they spent those two months together looking over their juniors put together a drama. And as if within a bat of eyelash it was the last college day before Halloween and the date of the performance. The team was ready and the execution was also excellent without any problem or mistakes. Every single person attending the show were awed by how good the acting was and the mentors were happy knowing that they had nailed it and there now was something that would look in their career record and something they themselves could take pride in.

               The show was now nearing an end and the younger just wanted it to finish so that he could go and check out his family members who were here to watch the show as well. It was the time for the last speech delivered by some internationally popular actor or theatre performer. This segment was always prepared by the management group of the university and the details were even kept from the professors. So, it was a surprise to everyone attending and every time all waited with anticipation to see who was invited.

"Aaanndd, now let us welcome Mr. Jing Guangyao with a loud applause..."

The announcers voice was drowned by the sound of people cheering for the said person. Jin Guangyao was a young Chinese actor who became very popular due to his acting in the movie that was nominated for Oscar the year before.

                The hall was applauding for the youngster when only one person turned completely pale and it was none other than Wangji. He felt that the past, he was trying so hard to escape from, replayed itself again in a flash. He wanted to get out from this place as soon as possible but being one who was very closely tied to the whole programme, it was impossible for him. But he hoped that it would be the end of his miseries but fate definitely had decided against him long ago.

               After the performance ended and he was slowly slipping away from the group unnoticed he heard Mr. Parkinson calling his name.

"Mr. Lan, can I have you here, please?"

There was no way he could say no, no matter how much wanted to say that.

"Yes sir, you were looking for me."

He went up to the principal and Jin Guangyao was standing right beside him. He tried to saught out Wangjis eyes but the other was determined not to look at him. Wangji kept his gaze fixed on the man who called him.

"I learnt from Mr. Jin that you two were used to be in the same college during your graduation days. You two must know each other by the looks at least. Since you two are close associates how about you give him a short tour of the college grounds?"

Wangji was astonished. He was speechless. He really did not know how he should response at the request made to him. Seeing that Wangji was hesitating to answer, the principal pulled him to the side quickly, muttering a small "excuse us, please". He looked at Wangji seriously,

"Mr. Lan, I know that you are not comfortable when interacting with new people. But at this moment it is about our university's image... I really cannot spare anyone from here right now. Please understand and help me out here. I'll send someone else as soon as some one is free, just hold out till then."

Wangji had nothing to say, no words of denial was allowed to him. Never was he allowed to choose what he wanted. He swiftly glanced around him. It was true. Everyone else was busy with one thing or the other. Defeated, he nodded towards the principal. There was a small smile of relief on Mr. Parkinson's face and he promised that he would soon send someone to take over from him.

"Sorry for the delay, Mr. Jin. Mr. Lan here will guide you through our grounds. I hope that you'll have a pleasant tour."

And with a small nod he walked away from them.

               A stifling silence surrounded the two young men. The air around them felt as if the temperature dropped by a few degrees. No one made any attempt to start any small talk and left the hall, Wangji leading and Guangyao trailing behind him.

                 After ten or some minutes later Wuxian was done with his talk with the performing students. He happily took this job when the younger said that he was not good with such situations and that he wanted to leave early. The elder could see that the younger was looking very tired and pale, so he just took that job from him. He walked away from the students and directed his feet towards the spot where the principal was talking with some other senior professors.

"Mr. Wei!! Come here... the performance was brilliant."

One of them commented.

"Thank you so much. But with out everyone's help, it wouldnt have been possible. So, no need to congratulate me separately."

"You're very humble... but seriously you and Mr. Lan pulled up a fantastic drama. It is not easy you know... we know... we are used to it every year."

He chuckled lightly hearing all the positive words from his once professors who were now his colleagues. Mr. Parkinson suddenly interrupted them,

"Ahh... talking about Mr. Lan, I remembered, Mr. Wei can you help him out?"

He looked quizzically to the principal. He already helped him out earlier, what more was left to be done?

"You see, he is outside giving Mr. Jin a tour of our grounds. I want you take over from him. He looked too awkward when he led the other out... Just take it over from him and let the poor boy go home. He looked pale."

Wuxian nodded towards him and muttered a little "see you later, good bye" to the others before heading out to find the younger. Both their families left behind with a short text,

"Got caught up in an important work. Will be late. Go back without me. Will meet you later."