Chapter - 19

Wuxian was stunned. He did not know how he should react to this information. Both sat in silence for some more moments. But before Wuxian could reorganize his jumbled thoughts and say something, Guangyao began again,

"We were best friends... for so many years. I was close to his family as well. But it all changed during our graduation year... I wanted to come to this college, but he got the recommendation."

Now the picture was slowly becoming a little clear to Wuxian but he was still unsure as to what all this had to do with Wangjis parents deaths.

"I was jealous. I was angry. Because of my father's constant nagging I wanted to get this chance no matter what. I just wanted to get away from him. But I did not tell any of these to him. Even Zixuan does not know all these. I did not want him, of all people, to find out how fucked up my family life was, especially after meeting his family members and looking at their perfect connection to each other."

Guangyao stopped. It was painful. All of it was so damn painful. Taking a walk down the memory lane and reviving those moments he so desperately wanted to forget. He looked up towards the sky. It was blank now. Not even a shroud of cloud was in eyesight. Tearing his eyes away from it, he again looked at the ground. Wuxian did not have to struggle to understand that he was avoiding the eye contact.

"I did not want to kill anyone."

He was now slowly approaching the main subject.

"I really did not... I just... just wanted to injure Wangji enough, so that he would miss the admission test and as the second in position to receive the spot, the recommendation would naturally fall into my laps. My plan was perfect... I knew that he was going to drive back that day from our college. I paid a truck driver to crash into his car, but only enough to injure him."

Wuxian was horrified now. The only thought going through his mind right at that point was that he did not know this man sitting in front of him at all. How can some one do something like this and still have the nerve to sit down and calmly explain themselves was beyond him.

"But God's wish was not so simple. He did not want my wish to injure my best friend go unpunished. That day... I still remember it as if it was just a moment ago. It was drizzling since morning. And Wangji did not drive the car back... The accident was enough to kill the truck driver and all the passengers of the other car as well. In that car was Wangji's parents and Wen Qing's parents."

"Who's Wen Qing now?"

Wuxian was surprised at himself for still sitting down and listening to this person beside him. But he wanted to know. He wanted to know it all before confronting Wangji about today.

"Wangji's best friend and Xichen's wife."

"Oh well, then..."

The surrounding again was plunged into silence. Guangyao decided to break it,

"I sometimes think that he knows it. He knows that they all died because of me. But why he did not take any action, that I can't fathom..."

He sighed again, looking aimlessly in front of him.

Wuxian got up from his seat. He needed to meet up with Wangji. He wanted to. But first he needed to take care of this business sitting in front of him.

"Lets meet up with the principal. You can say your goodbyes and I'll report back as well. Do you have plans for tonight?"

"Not really... I was planning to meet up with Zixuan and stay with them.

"Fine. I'll drop you to their care."

It was decided. And no matter how much he hated the man right now, he just could not abandon him here. 'Only after getting rid of him completely can I go and meet with Wangji freely,' that was what he had on mind.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

               Wuxian was now driving towards Wangji's apartment. He was surprised at his luck. He was thinking about the meeting that took place not so long ago.

He called his sister and drove to the restaurant with Guangyao, the drive was silent. After reaching there, Wuxian discovered that his sister had guests with her and just when he was contemplating to just drop Guangyao to their house, the guest suddenly called Guangyao and came out smiling. The guest was none other than Wangji's cousin Xichen. Wuxian was uncomfortable, watching them talking so lovingly to Guangyao, but it was not his place to tell them anything. If Wangji knew and did not disclose anything to his own family then he was in no position to do so. But he was shocked to see how much his and Wangji's family were entangled with each other and even more at the fact that even till a few moments ago he had no idea about all these. But this encounter just made his work easier. He was worried that the younger would not answer him and he would have a hard time finding out his abode, but after knowing his identity Xichen very cordially provided him with Wangji's address, after inviting him to dine with them later.

               And so currently he was on road, driving and calling Wangji to inform him of his arrival. When after trying multiple times Wangji still did not pick up the call, Wuxian got a sudden sense of déjà vu. He remembered all the awkwardness he felt after Wangji visited him that night and his one-night stand answered the door for him. He did not want to experience something like that, not when his feelings for the younger was slowly coming back again. Though after all that had happened that day, being with a sex friend would be the last thing that the other would do. But being with a lover was completely possible, and the thought of it made Wuxian upset. He did not want to meet someone like that. But he needed to talk with Wangji. His behaviour, that day towards Guangyao was completely personal and not professional at all. If anyone else other than Wuxian would have gone after them, Wangji would have ended up with a big problem. He needed to know how to distinguish between his personal and professional life. And with all these thoughts running through his mind, Wuxian ringed the doorbell of Wangji's apartment.