chapter 2

(A/n: Noelle is a random character I created for this story, these are her regular clothes)

"Master Luca, are you alright?" The Hellfire Witch hovered around him like a worried parent.

"Yes, I'm well. What about you, Jeanne?"

His words eased her worries instantly and she breathed a sigh of relief before answering with a small smile, "I'm unharmed."

"Ah. My dear, Jeanne~" Vanitas hugged her from behind causing the girl to shriek.

"Vanitas, what do you think you're doing to Jeanne!?" Luca yelled.

The blue-eyed boy turned to his partner, Noé, who has been silent upon meeting the woman hours ago.

"Noé, what's bothering you?" He asked, annoyed at the sullen look on the man's face.

"The vampire from earlier." He mumbled.

"What do you mean?" Luca asked, genuinely curious about the lady who had rescued him from an untimely death.

Vanitas sighed and answered reluctantly as he seemed to understand where his partner was going with the conversation, "She tossed away The Book of Vanitas to save you. It's strange, don't you think?"

"Now that you mentioned it, she did ask me how good Jeanne's reflexes were before pushing me away." Luca pondered about the woman, he had so many questions for her.

"Exactly. Why would she, someone who's after the grimoire, help you?" Noé questioned.

"I suppose you're right." The young boy sighed.

"Master, we should leave," Jeanne stated, placing a hand on his shoulder.

"Right," he nodded and turned to look at Vanitas once more, glaring slightly as he remembered the doctor was once again the victor, "This isn't over."

The Hellfire Witch picked him up and hopped away from building to building, disappearing into the night.

***********

As Y/n prowled the city looking for Vanitas, she remembered that dreaded old man waiting for her. She had to give him a call. Within a few minutes, she found a shop willing to let her use their phone after making them believe she was lost while visiting a relative in Paris.

"Why aren't my servants answering me?!" Was the first thing she heard when he picked up.

"There's a simple reason for that, they're dead." Her tone was flat and unbothered while the older vampire on the other side of the phone was panicking.

"Was it Vanitas?! Did he kill them?!" Outraged, he yelled. But she had a feeling he knew it was her.

"No, I did."

The man went quiet.

"That was all. I'm busy so I'll--"

"How dare you?! You vampiric abomination!"

She was used to this, it didn't phase her. In a hushed tone with an ever-present intensity, she answered, "Do not raise your voice at me, you vile red-eyed bastard. I no longer belong to you, so do yourself a favour and stay out of my way or I'll kill you too."

She ended the call, not allowing him to speak another word. Her grip threatened to crush the device.

The shop owner's kind voice snapped from her from a hate-filled reverie. Y/n thanked them and wished them a good night before walking out into the chilly streets.

Suddenly, arms wrapped around her from behind in a tight embrace.

"Y/n! I haven't seen you in a week!" Said a higher-pitched voice.