chapter 14

[ sorry for taking so long, I was unable to update sooner, unfortunately. Thank you for your patience and hope you enjoy!]

"Astolfo?"

At the sound of his name, Astolfo's grin wilted into a deep scowl, "How dare you address me so casually."

"Ever the ungrateful brat, I see."

"Quiet, vampire! Don't act so familiar with me!"

At first, she thought he was just being spiteful due to her being a vampire, but it turns out he truly did not recognise her. Perhaps that is for the best.

"Miss Y/n, please stand back. I'll fight him–"

Placing a hand on Noé's chest, she stopped him.

"No need for you to get involved, Noé. With a foe this weak even Vanitas can handle him."

"Oi!"

Vanitas shot her an icy glare before noticing her taunting smile, he instantly knew to go along with it, "I heard there was a Paladin sent here. C-could it be Roland of Jasper?! Eh? Astolfo of Garnet, who's that? Sorry, sorry, I haven't heard of him~"

"Indeed. Roland is a formidable adversary, no one else comes close. What a relief it happens to be this puny chasseur instead!" Y/n added, doing her best not to laugh at Vanitas' over-the-top performance.

"Right? We'll have no trouble dealing with a little girl. What? You're kidding! He's a boy? No way!"

Their taunting worked, Astolfo was seething, "Roland? Are you saying that buffoon is better than me?"

"Well, that was easy." She commented.

"I have a talent for irking people." Vanitas boasted with a sly grin.

"I've noticed."

"Noé, you stop Jeanne. If the Beast of Gévaudan is truly a curse bearer who has transformed, its malnomen has yet to be discovered. We can't have anyone slaying it, whether they be a chasseur or a bourreau."

Noé nodded stiffly before running off, looking back at the two Blue Moon Clan members with worry etched into his perfectly sculpted face.

"And Y/n," Vanitas' eyes fell on her, "you want to stay and fight him, don't you?"

"Awe, you know me so well.

"Y/n–"

"Vanitas, please do not interfere. Although he doesn't remember me yet, I want to be his adversary."

"... I see. Very well, but if things go south I will step in."

She turned to him while smiling, "have some faith in me!"

His breath hitched as he stared at her.

'Beautiful...'

Astolfo pointed his Louisette at her but in the next instance, he was unable to move.

"What have you done to me?!"

"Simple blood manipulation. No need to fear, I won't kill you, yet."

Truthfully, Y/n didn't intend on actually killing the chasseur. She just needed to make sure he wasn't in the way of Vanitas' mission.

But alas, it would appear as though she might have made a slight miscalculation. Unlike Roland's electric attacks, Astolfo's Louisette created explosions. Although she dodged with ease, the surprise attack allowed for her hold on his blood to break; he was free.

Thinking quickly, Y/n summoned her scythe, which materialized in her hand and she hastily blocked and parried the various attempts at slaying her.

"You're fast, I'll give you that. But speed is nothing against me." She said.