chapter 6

In the end, Vanitas was right. Y/n did need more than twenty-four hours.

She spent the rest of the week looking after Noelle, not once leaving her side until she was feeling better. Fortunately, the brunette was as stubborn as her older sister and got back on her feet the very next morning.

"You've only just recovered, please go back to bed." The h/c-haired vampire shook her head, hesitating but not wanting to be overbearing.

"No way! I haven't been outside in a week, I need to stretch my legs."

"Kids you're age are usually happy they can sleep in."

Noelle shoved Y/n playfully and continued to comb her hair, looking at the older vampire's reflection in the mirror and noticing the dark circles under her eyes, "When was the last time you slept?" She asked, concern etched onto her features.

The woman sighed before walking up behind her and began braiding her hair like usual, "A while."

"You need to rest."

"I'm perfectly capable of looking after myself, Noelle. Don't worry."

But she did worry, more than Y/n could possibly know. It wasn't unusual for Noelle to stay awake for days without getting a wink of sleep if the two were separated, it happened so often now that staying awake until Y/n arrived wasn't hard at all.

"How can you tell me not to worry when all you've done for months is obsess over that God-forsaken grimoire! I'm cured now... You can rest." Their eyes locked in the reflection.

"Cured for now. I pray you aren't targeted again but who knows what may happen. Besides, I don't like that a mere human has The Book of Vanitas."

"So if we get the grimoire you'll be able to relax?" That was what Noelle was desperately clinging onto, that dim hope of a future where they didn't live in fear or have to take unnecessary risks to get by.

"Yes. I promise that when we get our hands on that book, we can go back to living normally."

"Really?!" The young vampire's eyes sparkled, that was all she wanted. For some reason, perhaps because of a conversation they had years ago, Y/n thought Noelle's dream was to travel the world, but the brunette only wanted her sister safe from harm's way. She didn't care if they travelled or if they stayed in one place, nor if they lived lavishly or lived humble lives. She wanted Y/n to have peace of mind, and if getting that stupid grimoire is the only way for that to happen, damn it, Noelle would hunt it down for her.

Noelle knows retrieving the grimoire is important to Y/n, despite not knowing the details, and is prepared to help her in any way she can, but the promise of having a normal, peaceful life has always been the end goal for both of them.

"Yes, really." The woman confirmed with a small smile.

Out of the blue, a raven flew in through the window and landed on Y/n's desk, attached to her was a small pouch.

"Lune!" Lune was her way of communicating with an information broker, the raven is a big help to her, "You startled me. Hm? What is that?" Y/n gently took the small pouch from the bird and inside, she found a button with the Chasseurs' insignia, on the back was the number 626.

For a moment, all she could do was stare at it. A chill was sent through her, she felt as if she were paralyzed.

"Y/n? What did Lune bring?"

Y/n handed her the object and sat on the bed without a word. Worried by the older vampire's reaction, Noelle inspected the button before realization dawned on her, expression souring, "Oh, Y/n."